Napa ProSelect 21394 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my Generac generator, 110 hours and 6 months on this filter and QSUD 10w30.
I put on another Napa ProSelect 21394 and filled it up with Traveller SAE 10 oil.

In photo #10 I cut a bit into the media while cutting the can open.

What do people do with these hacked-up filters once they've taken pics?
Is there somewhere that will accept these?

Seems kinda silly to hack something up and then proceed to throwing them into the garbage (not to mention the used oil being mixed in with household garbage).

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Seems kinda silly to hack something up and then proceed to throwing them into the garbage (not to mention the used oil being mixed in with household garbage).

coffee2.gif

My local recycling station will accept any oil filters even if they are hacked to bits.

coffee2.gif

Most people probably toss their used filters full of oil in the trash.
Tossing out a filter that has been cut open has minimal oil in it has much less impact that that.
Parts stores around me will accept used filters regardless of condition.

For me, I toss the metal into the recycle bin and media (with minimal oil left in it, probably less than what is in a oil jug after pouring it into the engine) into the regular trash.

I drain my oil filters into an oil pan and then toss them in the trash.

Never knew of a place to accept/recycle used oil filters. If there's a place that's not incredibly out of the way, I'd prefer to dispose of them properly.

Our local Walmart accepts filters. However, I think they'd frown upon ones that are already cut open, so I just drain as much out as I can and throw those away. Our city's recycling facilities won't take them.

O'Reilly stores have never refused to accept an oil filter from me whether spin-on or cartridge. I'm confident they'd accept cut up filters. I put mine in a plastic shopping bag or two to minimize leakage / spillage, I'm progressing to Ziploc style bags. Since their oil & fiilter recycling is through Safety Kleen who shreds oil filters as part of the recycling process, seperating steel from not steel (media, ADBV, gasket) from retained oil, a cut up filter is just more prepped for their recycler.

http://www.cleanharbors.com/services/tec...ducts-recycling

http://atdservicebay.com/eb_wasteoil.php

The non-oil, non-steel is used as a supplemental boiler fuel.

Firestone Complete Auto Care service centers in my area accept used motor oil, oil filters, ATF, and used transmission filters for recycling. I doubt they'd care whether a spin-on oil filter has been cut up.

There's also local community Household Hazardous Waste collection centers / events where automotive fluids and filters can be taken for recycling.

You can check for recyclers in your area at

www.earth911.org

coffee2.gif

They are donated for medical research.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks like it could have gone a lot longer-what is the recommended OCI (in hours) on this generator? Natural gas (my guess) or gasoline?

OCI is 100 hours. It is gasoline, no natural gas.

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
Looks like it could have gone a lot longer-what is the recommended OCI (in hours) on this generator? Natural gas (my guess) or gasoline?

Looks good for a gasoline generator.
Why the Travelers SAE 10 wt oil? That is a API SA oil.

coffee2.gif

Theres a place I take my trash to and dump it down by the creek in an out of the way spot. I throw my hacked up filters in the ditch along with my old jugs of old motor oil and the hazardous chemical byproducts from my meth lab.....
laugh.gif

Seriously though,

Not sure why you think a person who cuts open oil an filter would be disposed of any differently than a intact one... If a person is going to throw the filter in the trash, I would think they would do the same whether they cut them open or not.

Last Saturday our county had the yearly tox-away day, they accept hazardous household waste. I brought several oil filters that were cut open and they accepted them no problem. I put them in a box and they took them with no questions asked.

When you cut the oil filter open you remove almost all of the old oil out of the can, so in a way its more environmentally friendly than not cutting them open at all.

Last edited:
Very nice filters for the price. For relatively low rpm OPE, I don't mind the combo ADBV / bypass valve piece.

For disposal, I let my oil filters drain out for a while and then put them back in the box with the opening up and throw them in the recycle bin. My waste management/recycling company treats oil filters just like any other used can; beans, peas, etc.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Looks good for a gasoline generator.
Why the Travelers SAE 10 wt oil? That is a API SA oil.

Sorry, I don't know how 10 got in there. It is Traveller SAE 30, API SN. I usually run Super Tech HD 30 in my generator and my lawnmowers but WalMart was out of it, so I went to Tractor Supply and got this. Last OCI I ended up with QSUD in the generator because it was on sale at Autozone for less than I could buy SAE 30 conventional oil. Should have bought more.

Wemay I thought the same thing about the oil color. Always makes me more comfortable to see Amber color oil versus black nasty color oil. I understand that oil from a GDI and diesel motors will make oil look nasty black. But I've seen some filters cut on here where neither of those type motors were in use and the oil still looked really black. And yes color may well not matter which is true. I will say in a gasoline motor non GDI it is a bit more concerning. Oil does change color in a gasoline motor slowly over time. If very black it could be all right or it could be totally spent full of containments and barely holding sludge in suspension.

Sorry, I don't know how 10 got in there. It is Traveller SAE 30, API SN. I usually run Super Tech HD 30 in my generator and my lawnmowers but WalMart was out of it, so I went to Tractor Supply and got this. Last OCI I ended up with QSUD in the generator because it was on sale at Autozone for less than I could buy SAE 30 conventional oil. Should have bought more.

Gotcha'.
I agree though, for the use this seems to get, QSGB would be a good option, but the ST 30wt is fine as well.
Seems you have a good, inexpensive maintenance routine set. So long as you keep the fuel fresh and change the plug(s) and air filter you should have a good life from this generator.
The thing is, there really is a Travelers SAE 10 wt oil at Tractor Supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back