Caught someone doing a hit and run on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I was walking to my car as an 18 year old guy was trying to pull into a very tight spot next to me. I waited as he decides the spot is too small and as he backs out he hits my bumper! Bad driver all around, the car was a stick and he was revving it to 2k and moving an inch. Anyway, I approach him as he is leaving and through his closed window he denies hitting my car! I thought he was going to take off so I took a picture of his license plate, and told him if he didn't give me his information I was calling the cops. He rolls the window down an inch and gives me his insurance and license, then claims there is no damage and sends his girlfriend out to look at the damage! Then we go to the damage is minor, he'll pay for it, yada, yada, yada. I was so [censored] he was trying to tell me he didn't hit my car when I stood there and watched it happen!

zKhU3Zp.jpg

That sucks. I'd phone the police anyways. They may not send anyone out, but at least they'd have record of the call should you need it for insurance.

That would be bad here in OH-"no fault" on private property-if they don't feel like paying for it, there's no way to force them. Had a delivery truck wipe out a corner panel on one of our Econolines, cost $1K to fix. And they wonder why I won't take my personal truck on calls...

In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car.

If it was here, i would let him go. Call it in. A hit and run is felony here.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That would be bad here in OH-"no fault" on private property-if they don't feel like paying for it, there's no way to force them. Had a delivery truck wipe out a corner panel on one of our Econolines, cost $1K to fix. And they wonder why I won't take my personal truck on calls...

My boss wondered th same thing. I would take the company truck only to places I knew my truck would probably get messed up at. Then the guy above him was like we pay for that truck, let him use the company truck when he wants. Lol

At least you know right from the start that you're dealing with a [censored]. Anyone that could drive off like that will have to be forced to pay. A person that won't take responsibility for their own actions will never change.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What would you do if he took a swing at you for calling him out ?

What would you do if he took a swing at you for calling him out ?

I'd realize that there really is a God in heaven looking out for me and I'd be thrilled for the opportunity to communicate back on his terms my displeasure with his unacceptable behavior.

I meant to ask dishdude that question...

He wouldn't even roll his window down more than an inch, so I wasn't too concerned he was going to take a swing at me.

I asked for his number and for some reason felt the need to call him to make sure it was correct. Since then he texted me and apologized, and asked for a picture of the damage. Not replying, if he wanted to see it he should have got out of the car.

Anyway claim is opened with his insurance company, he reported it and admitted fault. Now I need to find a shop and hope they can just blend the corner.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car.

I hate people like you. If you get his insurance information that's all you need.
These old people will block a road for hours to wait for police when it's literally a scratch. One or both end up getting tickets. No injuries, nobody dead, both cars drivable. Get insurance info and be on your way.

Last edited:
I'm not saying your wrong so don't take this the wrong way but that looks very minor
I would have a hard time believe he would even be aware of something like that.

Yeah it's damage but it's mostly paint from the looks of it. If I had someone approach me and say that I probably wouldn't believe them unless I felt it or heard it. Even if they had AC on and no music I doubt it would make much noise.

Given the lawsuit culture I would would be skeptic myself but then again I'm 59 and never gotten as much as a speeding ticket.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I hate people like you. If you get his insurance information that's all you need.
These old people will block a road for hours to wait for police when it's literally a scratch. One or both end up getting tickets. No injuries, nobody dead, both cars drivable. Get insurance info and be on your way.

The blocking the road part is stupid, the cops aren't going to do accident reconstruction for a fender bender, move to the side of the road and fight it out.

On the other hand, I understand calling the cops. Good luck trying to get the at fault drivers insurance co, to pay up without an either an admission of guilt or a favorable accident report

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
In many states, minor damage like that falls under the "no fault" clause and you cant recoup anything.
"No fault" means you collect from your own company and if they want to chase the lowlife for the dough they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back