Slipping transmission, can one try Lubguard red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has 2005 Hyundai Elantra with ~154,000 miles on it. Its not their primary car but a backup car. Yesterday, when we were discussing my transmission fluid change and plans of adding Lubguard Red during the last change in a month's time, he mentioned his car is slipping transmission and if he can try in it.

We went for a short ride and did notice that on a slope, the RPM goes up but not the speed. The max speed he can go up the hill is 20mph. I forgot to ask him when he changed the transmission fluid last but if he changes now, can he try Lubguard Red or Lucas Transmission fix in it? Which one would be better?

Thanks in advance.

I prefer the Lubegard Red, but that's just my opinion from how it performs in my 2005 Impala. I haven't tried Lucas Transmission Fix in anything so I don't have much of an opinion, but if you read around here there doesn't seem to be many positive thoughts of Lucas. The most important thing to trying to fix the slip will be replacing the fluid and filter, assuming that hasn't been done before. I would drop the pan and replace the filter, add HYUNDAI SPIII ATF fluid and add a bottle of Lubegard if you would like. If it were me, I'd probably replace fluid/filter first, run that 15k or so miles and if the transmission was shifting better, replace the fluid again and add a bottle of Lubegard and extend the fluid interval.

If you need help with the process, hyundai-forums.com offers some pretty good resources for some "how-to" guides.

Last edited:
It would be good to have the vehicle checked with a good scan tool to see if there are any trouble codes. Several times over my lifetime I have had apparent tranny slippage symptoms and found out it was actually a related electrical part that was going bad. For example, a failing $25 speed sensor can confuse the ECM or TCM, making the tranny seem to slip.

With today's excellent modern transmission fluids, I am leery that Lubguard Red would do anything more than what new fluid would (clean varnish off, etc.). I don't think that Lubegard Red has much in the way of "healing powers". Some report that Lucas Transmission Fix has resulted in improved performance. I think in most cases it is considered a last ditch effort to get just a few more miles out of a defective transmission.

Change the fluid and filter first. Get that vehicle scanned!! Save the mechanic-in-a-can for the last try.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It would be good to have the vehicle checked with a good scan tool to see if there are any trouble codes. Several times over my lifetime I have had apparent tranny slippage symptoms and found out it was actually a related electrical part that was going bad. For example, a failing $25 speed sensor can confuse the ECM or TCM, making the tranny seem to slip.
Makes me wonder if that could be what I'm seeing in my '99 Accord (4-cylinder). It doesn't always slip from 2-3 and even if it is, I can "control" it and literally make it not slip by the amount of throttle I give. I do have a check engine light on but it's the infamous P0409 or something like that and it's related to the catalytic converter. If I understand Honda codes, at least with some testers, it only shows one code at a time so until I got this P0409 cleared, I can't see any others.

Doitmyself has great advice, it could be something very simple. A competent trans tech or even the owner with research can see where the problem is. Driving it with the slipping is just killing it though.

Slipping produces extremely high temperatures. If it was driven like that there is likely massive damage. Slipping can come from many things from tired fluid to leaking valve bodies or worn clutches.

Lubegard red is more of an additive package. Like others said Lucas is probably a better choice. It will thicken things up and maybe get a month, maybe 5 years. Maybe both Lucas and lubegard, nothing to lose

I wouldn't say to change the fluid now.

Wouldn't there be a check engine light then or transmission codes are not reported by the check engine light? His check engine light is not on. He actually did a lot of work (not exactly sure of what) few months ago when anti-freeze hose burst open.

It would be good to have the vehicle checked with a good scan tool to see if there are any trouble codes. Several times over my lifetime I have had apparent tranny slippage symptoms and found out it was actually a related electrical part that was going bad.

Agreed. And stop driving it that way until you diagnose it properly.... or you'll just kill the trans instead.

Lubegard Red is advertised to keep the fluid cooler and prevent problems. I don't see anything on the box advertising it will fix things.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

Wouldn't there be a check engine light then or transmission codes are not reported by the check engine light? His check engine light is not on. He actually did a lot of work (not exactly sure of what) few months ago when anti-freeze hose burst open.

Yesterday I saw a car with 14 codes and no warning lights.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Change the fluid. Go from there.

+1. Start with a known good baseline condition. Many people with the older SPIII spec fluid replac eit with MaxLife with excellent results.

Once it slips, the damage is likely done but a pan drop/filter change with the LG can't hurt (one ounce per quart capacity)and he might get surprised.Atleast it would be useful to see what's lurking on the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:
My personal experience with a slipping trans: I had an issue before with a Lexus trans from a junkyard that slipped so badly the car wouldn't even move. I changed the filter about three times, capturing fine particles every time, until the trans was cleared out of the particles. They were clogging the trans filter and thus preventing fluid from reaching the clutches. The trans worked for a couple of years after that with no further attention. When it finally failed, the trans filter was no longer the issue. So a cheap fix could be a trans filter for now.

LG isn't going to do anything.

something is wrong.

the fluid may be sheared stupid-thin, maybe, in which case a full fluid change might help lessen the problem.

the filter might possibly be clogged, lowering line pressure

slipping is either from inadequate hydraulic pressure, or worn clutch media. low pressure can be caused by a failing solenoid, clogged filter, low fluid level, blown intake seal....

you really need to start from the bottom up. check fluid, check filter, perform maintenance, and then diagnose from there.

Change the fluid and check for codes. Clear them, take the pos battery cable off and turn the lights on for 10 minutes. Then reconnect the cable, start car check fluid level, then go for a drive. A pan drop with a filter change if it has one is not an option at this point. IT IS A MUST DO! no additivees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back