Colorado ZR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ward's

More pics

Quote:
The extended-cab ZR2 tested here featured GM’s 2.8L turbocharged 4-cyl. diesel engine (LWN) mated to a Hydra-Matic 6L50 6-speed automatic transmission. With the heart of a UFC fighter, it is hard to imagine a better engine for the ZR2 duty cycle. The low-end torque makes short work of low-speed driving along uneven terrain, and a sprint back to camp along the highway delivered 26.2 mpg (9.0 L/100 km). It would be great choice for weekenders pulling an RV or small boat to the trailhead.

But the diesel unit adds $3,500 to a truck already carrying a starting price of $40,000 with GM’s excellent, if not as grunt-worthy, 3.6L gasoline direct injection V-6 (LFX) paired to a Hydra-Matic 8L45 8-speed automatic transmission.

The heavy-duty hardware of the ZR2 adversely affects the EPA-rated fuel economy of both models, but then so does spinning around the mud all day, and there are few trucks better than the Colorado ZR2 to get your boots dirty with.

20.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
A $43,500 diesel COLORADO?? I can remember when the stripper S-10 company trucks we used to get were under $10K (has been a while, like 1990 or so).

$10k in 1990 is $19k today (see here ). Arguably this truck is no stripper model; and arguably even stripper models are not cheap.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
A $43,500 diesel COLORADO?? I can remember when the stripper S-10 company trucks we used to get were under $10K (has been a while, like 1990 or so).

$10k in 1990 is $19k today (see here ). Arguably this truck is no stripper model; and arguably even stripper models are not cheap.
True-but given the issues on the (also VM Motori made engine) Ram Ecodiesel 1500s, I would be leery of one. Just amazing how expensive even a small truck has gotten, must mean I'm getting old.

Buyers want trucks with the glitter and glam package.

Nobody wants a truck with just roll up windows, A/C and CD player anymore. Those trucks would sit on the lot at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Nobody wants a truck with just roll up windows, A/C and CD player anymore. Those trucks would sit on the lot at the dealership.

Thats why I hold onto mine.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I have had a couple trucks with just roll up windows, ac and a CD player. I love em, a lot less tech to fail. They are hard to find for a decent price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back