July 4th BBQ/Grillin - What are you doing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. I picked up a Smokey Mountain gas smoker. at a garage sale for $20 bucks. I already tried doing baby back ribs and they came out very dry. I'm doing a brisket for the 4th and will probably try the Texas cheat/crutch method to keep it moist; smoke it for an hour and wrap in it foil and stick it in the oven low and slow for several hours.

What are ya'll doing???

Pork butt probably. Time for some pulled-pork sandwiches with Jamacian cole-slaw, pickle chips, home-made sangria and fresh iced tea.

And fireworks of course......

Probably baby back ribs using the 2-2-1 method. I usually let the sit in rub overnight, then put apple cider in the foil wrap for the second part of the smoke. They've been pretty foolproof that way.

Or I might smoke another chicken. We'll see.

This year, brisket. I'm going to start it the night before and pull it at 200 degrees. Then off to stay warm in the cooler until we eat it ! (but now you've all got me thinking about ribs too)

Yep gonna be ribs this weekend 3hr on the Weber rub starts tonight rib should never just fall of the bone always bite clean off the bone that's when you got them right.

Nothing special, just dogs with slaw and fries. Blackberry pie to finish up.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Nothing special, just dogs with slaw and fries. Blackberry pie to finish up.

Can't go wrong with some good dogs!! Grilled some tonight
laugh.gif

Stuck on the mother continent - but have a Pitts & Spitts BBQ pit - and a dozen 1-1/4" ribeyes from Texas ...

Well my dreams of smoky pork butt have been dashed. Couldn't find any less than $3/lb. I was hoping for more like 99cents/lb. Why? Because it shrinks nearly 50% when cooked because it's so fatty.

And I thought brisket shrunk a lot......

Steaks, burgers and steak fries done on the grill . Also will have to grill some veggie burgers and dogs for a couple of family members who don't eat meat .

I have porterhouse and skirt steak . I will take my time with the skirt steak as I have only watched others cook it slower than regular steaks . Mcormick Montreal Steak seasoning is pretty good on burgers as well as steak .

Going to cook a tri tip in my new sous vide cooker. Went up to the store and bought 3 tonight, vacuum sealed them, and picked the one for tomorrow. No marinade and no rubs just the way I like it.

Unrelated I fired up my BBQ for the first time in almost 6 years, I know, I know, and unlike last time there was no explosion followed by inpromptu flame thrower/propane tank being thrown around my back yard by the fire department.

I couldn't find any decent briskets in my area (whole, not 1 pound flats), but I found some nice looking St Louis spare ribs at Costco so I'm smoking those today along with potato salad and 3 bean salad. Happy 4th guys and gals.
34.gif

Cooked a tri-tip with my sous vide cooker for 6 hours, then 5 minutes a side on the BBQ. Turned out really well. First time I have done it on my own. It was about as tender and easy to cut as a filet mignon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back