High mileage oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the bottle the cutoff for high mileage is 75K. What's going on? I'm at 165K+ with my 2003 V8 4Runner and I consider it just about broken in. My 4Runner can't be that much different than millions of other vehicles out there, so what the heck is this 75K number doing there? I know the level on the dipstick moves during my 10K OCI with 0w-30 synthetic oil but it's never more than 1/4th of an inch or so. I'm not going to change what's working just because of a mileage number from someone in a marketing department somewhere especially when I don't believe them.

I do agree with you on this Oneyejack. I have 190k miles in my car and just tried the Valvoline Maxlife Full synthetic 5w30. Only because I just wanted to run it. No other reason really. So far so good with it. I am very pleased with it. Always good to see you on here.

It's as much for people that don't know any better as the 3,000 mile interval printed on most quick lube windshield stickers. IMHO the cars that populate our roads today (mostly models from the mid 90's and up) could generally be considered at a "high mileage" threshold at around 150K under the average consumer's care.

I am one of the people that does not know any better. But I do know that Pennzoil High Mileage stopped/slowed seal weeps on two different cars. Maxlife and Mobil Super HM did not help.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Just marketing nonsense to get you to buy it.
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Marketing
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Marketing nonsense, if it doesn't leak or burn oil, keep using whatever you were using-

^^^THIS!

I'm considering it in the F350. It has a puff of blue smoke on startup, or if run hard - such as towing a trailer - it will roll some blue coal for a minute or two until it burns off what leaked past the valve seals while turned off overnight.

Switching a 210K mile engine to synthetic surprisingly enough didn't cause it to have any massive leaks. First run turned BLACK in 1K miles. Next run is cleaning nicely, too. It also used a bit of oil after it sat in a junkyard for a few years, but that's calmed down now.

Dunno. We will see! I may change it out to maxlife before the next long trip.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm considering it in the F350. It has a puff of blue smoke on startup, or if run hard - such as towing a trailer - it will roll some blue coal for a minute or two until it burns off what leaked past the valve seals while turned off overnight.

Switching a 210K mile engine to synthetic surprisingly enough didn't cause it to have any massive leaks. First run turned BLACK in 1K miles. Next run is cleaning nicely, too. It also used a bit of oil after it sat in a junkyard for a few years, but that's calmed down now.

Dunno. We will see! I may change it out to maxlife before the next long trip.

Which synthetic did you use?

It also used a bit of oil after it sat in a junkyard for a few years, but that's calmed down now.

which engine size & year?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Looking at the bottle the cutoff for high mileage is 75K. What's going on? I'm at 165K+ with my 2003 V8 4Runner and I consider it just about broken in. My 4Runner can't be that much different than millions of other vehicles out there, so what the heck is this 75K number doing there? I know the level on the dipstick moves during my 10K OCI with 0w-30 synthetic oil but it's never more than 1/4th of an inch or so. I'm not going to change what's working just because of a mileage number from someone in a marketing department somewhere especially when I don't believe them.

The 75K-switch over mantra centers around a large majority of new vehicle purchasers that bid farewell to their vehicles, prior to 125K. So the oil companies felt to advertise their high-mileage marketing gimmick of 75k early-enough, before surrendering that automobile title to it's new owner.

With today's engine engineering, 125K should be the new advertising number used for the switch-over to high mileage oils. For only a marginally small percentage of new vehicle purchasers keep their vehicles over 175K.

BTW...I've always been first & last owner of my vehicles. Mine end-up in junkyards 17-18 years later, due to rusted bodies that become either big eyesores or dangerous to drive. Thank you Michigan for all that winter salt....
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

The 75K-switch over mantra centers around a large majority of new vehicle purchasers that bid farewell to their vehicles, prior to 125K. So the oil companies felt to advertise their high-mileage marketing gimmick of 75k early-enough, before surrendering that automobile title to it's new owner.

With today's engine engineering, 125K should be the new advertising number used for the switch-over to high mileage oils. For only a marginally small percentage of new vehicle purchasers keep their vehicles over 175K.
The average owner planning to dump a vehicle at 125K isn't going to spend an extra dime on it at 75K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
It also used a bit of oil after it sat in a junkyard for a few years, but that's calmed down now.

which engine size & year?

Engine is a 5.4 out of a 1997 F150.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Which synthetic did you use?

Accidentally dumped in Mobil Super Synthetic. Thought it was Mobil Super 5000

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
IN another time zone,,,like the 40s and 50s, 40,000 was high mileage,,,,remember.

And 100,000 was considered shot.
Back in the good old days, things started to fail at 75,000. Alternators, starters,
water pumps, etc...

Not needed unless leaking or oil needed to be added before oil change, in my opinion.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
IN another time zone,,,like the 40s and 50s, 40,000 was high mileage,,,,remember.

And what's interesting is that the most reliable brands today are the ones specifying the thinnest oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back