2016 Harley sportster 883 iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

2100 miles and one year. Harley 20w50, wix/S&S filter. The filter was replaced at 6 months and oil topped off.
Have basic bolt ons. Vance and Hines exhaust, screaming eagle intake, V&H FP3 programmer.
On my next sample the bike might be a NRHS 1250 conversion.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
I live on a island that is less than 44 miles across lol. It's not my daily driver ether.
No excuse !
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Typical Harley ("Citgo") oil.... not much of an additive package.

??????

Calcium is low, but Magnesium is also a detergent and probably replacing the high Calcium, ratios similar to M1. Nice dose of Boron and Moly.

I'm surprised that this seems to have sheared so much - the viscosity is pretty low and the flashpoint is not low at all.
I wouldn't think HD conventional would do this, especially after only 2100 miles. Maybe Blackstone's equipment needs calibration?

I would change that oil. Too much metal and too low a viscosity for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jm1na
I'm surprised that this seems to have sheared so much - the viscosity is pretty low and the flashpoint is not low at all.
I wouldn't think HD conventional would do this, especially after only 2100 miles. Maybe Blackstone's equipment needs calibration?

I would change that oil. Too much metal and too low a viscosity for me.

I did change it.

I would suspect you have more fuel dilution from the FP3 than Blackstone is reporting.
It may be that you are doing short trips since the island is so small.
Anything less than about 15-20 miles will not get the oil up to operating temperature, especially if it stop and go type riding.
Your TBN also seems low for such a short run.

My 1000 mile service with HD conv 20w-50 had a viscosity of 17.74 and a flash point of 440 F.
I didn't do a TBN since it was just a 1000 miles, my next change with syn 3 had a TBN of 7.0 after about 4000 miles.
Did you add the FP3 before the first UOA listed?
It also seems to have a lower than expected viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba
I would suspect you have more fuel dilution from the FP3 than Blackstone is reporting.

flash of 435 would point to close to zero fuel.

flash will always uncover the fuel.

out of over 75 uoa's i only have a handfull that are over 435 and all of those have zero fuel

It is possible to have fuel dilution and not have a low flash point.

While there are more precise methods for measuring fuel dilution (e.g., steam distillation for gasoline and gas chromatography for diesel and gasoline fuels), the flash point is very useful as a pass/fail screening tool that is adequate for most used oil analysis applications. Because of the low flash points of most fuels, a sudden drop in flash temperature in a crankcase oil can usually be relied upon as an indication of dilution. However, there are exceptions. Because there is often some overlap of the light-end volatile constituents of some lube oils with the heavy ends of the fuel, the presence of fuel dilution may be less distinct. Another influencing factor is that hot running crankcase temperatures alone are often sufficient to boil off light-end fuel fractions, leaving the less volatile and more viscous heavy-ends mixed with the oil and potentially undetectable with the flash point test. Fuel dilution reduces viscosity of a lubricant.

Last edited:
Here is a little more info-

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1304/fuel-diluents-oil

In trials at the Caterpillar SOS lab, a series of random used oil samples taken on various days were analyzed. These 175 samples included oils that were flagged by the viscometer for possible fuel dilution as well as oils that were not. The results of these analyses can be broken down as follows:
One-hundred thirteen of the 175 samples tested were flagged for a fuel test due to low viscosity. Low oil viscosity can be caused by several mechanisms, not just fuel dilution. Seventy-three of the 113 low viscosity samples tested negative for fuel by both the flash point tester and the CG methods. Twenty-two of the 113 samples tested positive for fuel by both the flash and CG methods. Interestingly enough, the 18 remaining samples that registered negative when tested using the flash tester had values above four percent fuel when tested on the PreVent GC method.

If I changed over to redline or amsoil and viscosity was low, then for sure it must have some fuel. Those don't shear at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back