Why is the new Castrol GTX not dexos1 approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

Came back from Walmart and noticed the new Castrol GTX ultraclean, and it mentions semi synthetic on the jug.

This is bugging me, why is this oil not even on the dexos list, and other semi synthetic are?

What would happen if I used it in my cruze?

The transition to dexos gen2 is in progress so you will see this with most of the brands as we move forward. Companies are reformulating products right now to meet the new standards

Lu;
I tried 5W30 GTX in 3 vehicles 2 years ago. It was on half price and came with a free Frampa filter with each 5L jug.
In short order, it turned the inside of all 3 engines orange as seen from the oil fill.
A HDEO 10W30 synthetic blend cleaned up the engines, but the oil turned orange in the process.
There is no minimum synthetic quantity to call an engine oil "synthetic blend, or semi-synthetic", OEM approvals weed out the bad examples.

Last edited:
I think that, while it is a blend, it's not a strong enough blend to meet the relatively stringent dexos specs. Basically all SN oils are blends to some degree. The term "blend" doesn't mean much.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
What would happen if I used it in my cruze?
Doubt it would hurt anything in Cruze.
Why not just get something that actually says dexos1 on it? Its a higher spec than just SN GF-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back