Key fob batteries lasted 15 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my Accord's key fob battery and saw the old one was a made in Japan Panasonic. I then got curious, opened up the spare key fob and it also had a Panasonic battery. I've had this car since new and don't remember ever replacing these batteries. If I did, I would see Energizer or Duracell since they're the most common at stores. Pretty neat the originals lasted this long.

Often times they do last for a long time.

My mom sold her 2003 Buick Rendezvous last year, had the original batteries in the fobs.

Grandparent's have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, original fob batteries.

Sold my 11-1/2 year old VW in 12/2015 and it had the originals too.

I've already replaced mine. But, mine gets depleted faster to roll my windows up and down. A fraction of a second vs holding down on a button for 6 seconds to roll the windows down and let the heat escape as I'm walking to my car from Kroger... . I think a few Honda models allow the same battery zapping feature.

Last edited:
The older ones that were just for lock and unlock lasted forever. The newer ones for cars with push button start and proximity unlocking last about a year or so.

The ones in my bmw keys are rechargeable. They recharge whenever the key is sitting in the ignition. The original lasted close to 15 years, but the battery is not easily replaceable. And of course if you dont use the spare key for a while, it'll go dead.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The ones in my bmw keys are rechargeable. They recharge whenever the key is sitting in the ignition. The original lasted close to 15 years, but the battery is not easily replaceable. And of course if you dont use the spare key for a while, it'll go dead.

And cost hundreds for a new key

My garage door is still original. Was new in 2005. Same with the battery in the bathroom scale but is blinking now so wants to be changed or maybe complaining about my weight gain.

That's only if you don't have comfort access. With the comfort access version of the key, they have an easily replaceable battery. Usually replace mine every two years just to be safe.

Original batteries in the fobs for a 2002 Suburban and a 2002 Tahoe. My 2007 Malibu however has the batteries outlast the remote itself.

Last edited:
I just replaced the battery for an Accord's keyless entry - it was the original Panasonic. I happened to be by a dealer and they gave me a Maxell replacement cell.

The key fob battery for my car has been replaced twice, I have an Chinese-made Energizer in it. But I have SmartAccess.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

That's only if you don't have comfort access. With the comfort access version of the key, they have an easily replaceable battery. Usually replace mine every two years just to be safe.

Yes, mine obviously have the discomfort access.

Originally Posted By: pkunk

And cost hundreds for a new key

My Mercedes key have keyless go and they're about $500 from the dealer, the regular keys are about $300. There was some TSB that mentions that dealers should replace the batteries in the fob whenever the customer comes in for service. Some dealers even do it for free. Mine only end up lasting around 6 months or less, I've tried several brands but they all seem about the same, but maybe I should just stop buying them from eBay, they're probably all fakes even with the brand name. But even the one the dealer put in only lasted 6 months so even if they're fakes, they're still lasting as long as the dealer.

Yes, mine obviously have the discomfort access.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I changed my Accord's key fob battery and saw the old one was a made in Japan Panasonic. I then got curious, opened up the spare key fob and it also had a Panasonic battery. I've had this car since new and don't remember ever replacing these batteries. If I did, I would see Energizer or Duracell since they're the most common at stores. Pretty neat the originals lasted this long.

My sig car was purchased new August 05 and has original fob and TPMS batteries. Never had any other vehicle even come close to lasting like these...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The older ones that were just for lock and unlock lasted forever. The newer ones for cars with push button start and proximity unlocking last about a year or so.
Howcum mine is still working over 2½ years after I bought the car used, despite push-button start, and proximity locking and unlocking? I don't know whether the dealer replaced the fob battery before I bought the car. It's only now starting to give intermittent warnings that it's low.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Seems to be the case with some Nissans in my family. I've replaced the big button battery in several late model Nissan FOBS. All with push button start, etc. Maybe 2yrs old tops.

My 4 prox keys are all 11 years old, with 320k miles spread over two vehicles. I've had to replace one battery so far. The BMW key charges itself I believe, it is going strong at 10 years and 110k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back