Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 - 6.2 LS3 - 7500 Mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Blackstone Labs. Engine has 77k miles on it. I bought it 3.5 years ago with 28k on it. Been on a steady diet of 5W-30 full syns between Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Mobil 1 since I've owned it. Always used the GM OLM to 5% (usually between 6500-7500 miles) and changed with an AC Delco PF48 filter. Mixed city and highway. Ran harder than your average driver but not abused by any means. No racing. Engine is stock outside of a CAI. Gearing has been changed (and it's a 6 speed manual) so it may spend more time in the mid-range RPM than other LS3's. Car has been nothing short of an absolute pleasure to drive the whole time I've owned it. I'm a fairly die hard GM guy and have been for years.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 - 7500 mile UOA. This one in particular had three separate 1200 mile hard runs from NC to FL across a two month span AFTER it was below 35% on the OLM. The mileage and driving at high(er) sustained speeds (90+) was one of the reasons I decided to get this UOA done now.

From Blackstone: Your Camaro looks excellent in this report. Typical wear for the LS-3 is shown on the far right (those averages are based on ~4,300 miles use), and these engine are known for leaving a good deal of copper in the oil. Your sample has just 7 ppm copper, showing very low wear from brass/bronze components. Other wear metals are in great shape too. This looks like a healthy engine to us, and it didn't
mind the 7,500-mile oil change interval in the slightest. The viscosity is in spec too, and no contamination was found. What a fantastic report!

Element/Compound - UOA PPM - Universal Averages

Aluminum - 4 - 7
Chromium - 1 - 2
Iron - 13 - 31
Copper - 7 - 68
Lead - 0 - 5
Tin - 0 - 1
Moly - 51 - 98
Nickel - 0 - 1
Manganese 0 - 5
Silver - 0 - 0
Titanium - 0 - 1
Potassium 2 - 5
Boron - 4 - 65
Silicon - 5 - 12
Sodium - 7 - 23
Calcium - 2137 - 1820
Magnesium 28 - 375
Phosphorus 589 - 769
Zinc - 674 - 908
Barium - 0 - 0

Sus Vicosity @ 210*F - 59 - 55-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C - 9.93 - 8.8-11.3
Flashpoint - 395 - >365
No Fuel (0.5), Antifreeze, Water, or Insolubles. I didn't pay for a TBN. Comments welcomed. Hope this helps someone, somewhere.

Last edited:
Pennz Plat works! Wow, low wear there.
Its close cousin, PUltraP, might give cleaner pistons, which is something not visible on a UOA.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its close cousin, PUltraP, might give cleaner pistons, which is something not visible on a UOA.

How do ascribe those low numbers to the oil? In other words, how do you know they wouldn't be just as low with any other oil that meets the requirements for this engine?

Is a "good" UOA solely a function of the oil or is it more tied to driving conditions and engine design?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How do ascribe those low numbers to the oil? In other words, how do you know they wouldn't be just as low with any other oil that meets the requirements for this engine?

Is a "good" UOA solely a function of the oil or is it more tied to driving conditions and engine design?

Great post, I couldnt agree more. Its a good UOA for sure and no reason for the OP to switch oil in his Camaro.
Again, nice UOA, dont want anyone to think I am discounting it.

Without question engine design plays a far greater role then oil choice, next in line would be driving conditions and honestly very last in line, if in line at all would be oil choice as all oils are rated meet the same standards.

1. Driving conditions for this Camaro look really nice and easy on the engine, interstate travel at 90+ miles an hour does not seem harsh to me. What does seem harsh to me is a soccer mom or dad driving their kids to school, winter time, Buffalo NY when it is 15 degrees outside or brutal stop and cold cold weather driving.

2. Engine design to me is next in line, a properly designed engine with a robust and proper lubrication system will show low wear when using the recommended oil over a poorly designed engine.

3. Oil choice to me is dead last, todays modern oils meet the most strict standards, those standards endorsed by the manufacturers themselves, properly designed engines EASILY last 200,000 miles when mostly high speed interstate travel,the vehicle itself will most likely fall apart before the engine.

4. Anyway, all I am saying, there is nothing at all with picking an oil that makes you feel good and I am not saying all oils are equal, I am saying they do meet the same standards and I agree, its about engine design and driving conditions with slow speed below freezing temperatures far more severe then high speed interstate travel in sweltering heat for hundreds of miles. IN-between those two extremes we have the middle.
Most oil is marketing, NEVER do ANY high end oil makers publish a full list of results comparing their oil to others. It would be hard to justify their price, vs other no name brands.

Last edited:
2. Rings home for me. If you follow some of the GM authority or Wiki write ups - you can see they have made modern day improvements to a classic push rod engine - and at a controlled pace -
3. Dexos has been a decent program that does not break the bank.
1. Last but not least - the GM OLM's have been more predictable than my Fords.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Good reply. Now if it were an expensive "Boutique oil," we'd have to give credit to the oil, wouldn't we?
wink.gif

BTW- Nice report..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back