Ecogard filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search on here last week- a bunch of info- Amazon-Walmart is better.
Rock auto tends to sell really old "you know" JMHO.........

I cut some open just a week or so ago.

X4651

S4651

The conventional is a good cheap alternative for a 5000 mile oil change. I would say on par with the Supertech/Microgrard made by Wix or the Fram Extra Guard.

The Synthetic+ filter is on par with the Fram Tough Guard.
S241 for $4.42 @ WalMart (it is $10 on Amazon???)

Even though the regular filter I cut open had a lot of rust in it, I do believe it was a fluke. The fact that the company rep got back to me quickly and answered my questions and said would look into it makes it seem they are a good company.

The Fram Pro is a regular Fram Extra Guard used by quick lube centers, just does not have the rippy stuff and painted white instead of orange. The Fram Pro Synthetic is the same as the Ultra minus the grippy stuff.

The first filter ecogard was posted here in the last week or so. Made in china jobber tier filter. One had severe rust in dome area. The second one had less rust but still had some. Obviously imo they are having some issues with condensation intrusion and rust proofing somewhere along the way. I'd pass.

Second filter the Fram Pro pictured, is equivalent to the Fram Core filters used in WM TLE. The specific application posted is standard ecore construction 3614 using a combo valve. Worth a buck I suppose. But off the top of my head in the same tier, I'd go to WM and pay 1.85 more and get a Super Tech ST3614 which uses classic construction and a separate dome bypass.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Second filter the Fram Pro pictured, is equivalent to the Fram Core filters used in WM TLE. The specific application posted is standard ecore construction 3614 using a combo valve. Worth a buck I suppose. But off the top of my head in the same tier, I'd go to WM and pay 1.85 more and get a Super Tech ST3614 which uses classic construction and a separate dome bypass.

Seems I read Motorking had said the Fram Pro was transitioning to the standard Extra Guard filter since the split from Champ?

The Fram Core is the one that still has the e-core type center tube (used only at Walmart TLE?). It is still orange.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The first filter ecogard was posted here in the last week or so. Made in china jobber tier filter. One had severe rust in dome area. The second one had less rust but still had some. Obviously imo they are having some issues with condensation intrusion and rust proofing somewhere along the way. I'd pass.

Did it ever occur to you the filters were on sale for under $2 because they knew they had minor rust issues in the bottom? Mine were clean. I have opened many filters with huge over spray inside and paint bothers me more than rust. The filters do not retail for a $1.86 so I think they knew. That aside not all had issues.

Quote:
...Seems I read Motorking had said the Fram Pro was transitioning to the standard Extra Guard filter since the split from Champ?

He also posted twice, once months ago, that AZ standard blue STP oil filters had been offshored. As of a visit to AZ two days ago, STP blue OF still previous old fram filtration filters with manufacture dates into late April. No change over in any applications in area AZ from previous manufacture/construction or coo. And, the STP S3614 is still an ecore, while S2808 is fram fiber construction. So that indicates those to be still previous ff construction here at least. So the STP S3614 excluding the can color, identical to the linked RA3614 the OP posted. Which is the reference I used.

Now it's 'possible' the OP might get a 3614 with fiber endcap construction, but that's not what's pictured and my reference. My speculation based on the STP filters at AZ here being similar to or same as WM TLE (excluding can color and texture) and the RA picture, it's an ecore. Though the latter not noted for 100% accuracy.

As for the ecogard, what I posted in response to the OP query is factually accurate. Perhaps all aren't that way, IDK. But imo say safe to say based on the anecdotes posted they are having an issue with rust and rustproofing, some worse than others. So, 'I'd' pass.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Thanks for all of the responses. Can rust from the filter get in and hurt the engine? I only do 2-3k intervals or 3 months whatever comes first.

Also, what about this guy?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2888670&cc=1388954&jsn=943&jsn=943

Their statement about efficiency means nothing unless they give data that shows "xx% efficiency @ yy microns".

"Efficiency — The filter's ability to trap contaminants within the range of sizes most likely to cause engine wear and damage. This means filtering out those particles between 5 and 20 microns."

Our Acklands are bringing them in at something like $1.63 a piece, too. The Baldwins they sell are cheap enough, I don't have to go that cheap.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back