The FBI is looking at Kaspersky Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I no sooner install antivirus software from a Russian firm than i would from a north korean one.

How about a Chinese one?

Originally Posted By: MarcS
I no sooner install antivirus software from a Russian firm than i would from a north korean one.

We seem to demonize Russia so much in movies, video games, and now the constant news cycle. What about honest and innocent Russian people?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
We seem to demonize Russia so much in movies, video games, and now the constant news cycle. What about honest and innocent Russian people?

Even the CNN admitted that it's [censored]. Normal people should dismiss the constant drum beat -- it's been a US policy for a while now and if it leads to nuclear annihilation, then.. oh, well.

So weird! I was thinking about that last night, prompted by the Ukraine malware headline yesterday.. Over a decade ago I used Kapersky and thought "what if that software planted spyware on the machine".

I don't trust any anti-virus software anymore and don't use them. Machine's been reliable ever since, have used XP like this for over 10 years- same installation since 2007. Still on it. It will never die, even after failed hard drives, corrupted registries etc etc it was always resurrected. This install is highly doctored and combined with good internet practices, never bothered by viruses and malware.

Wouldn't trust Norton over Kapersky or vice versa- they're all on the same level IMO.

IDK, maybe because one of the Kapersky scum was behind the Yahoo hack, as was a member of the Russian (SVR?) intell services? Although, it might not have been officially sanctioned and could have been just bent KGB-esque agents doing cybercrime. But even Russian security forces arrested a top Kapersky official along with one of their own in connection with this...

There are many honest and innocent Russian people, I suspect ones that work at Kapersky. But they might not be in control anymore...

Incidentally, I dumped ZoneAlarm over this a while back...

I often thought the same. When business is slow let's whip up a few viruses to cash in.
You never know!

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
So weird! I was thinking about that last night, prompted by the Ukraine malware headline yesterday.. Over a decade ago I used Kapersky and thought "what if that software planted spyware on the machine".

I don't trust any anti-virus software anymore and don't use them. Machine's been reliable ever since, have used XP like this for over 10 years- same installation since 2007. Still on it. It will never die, even after failed hard drives, corrupted registries etc etc it was always resurrected. This install is highly doctored and combined with good internet practices, never bothered by viruses and malware.

Wouldn't trust Norton over Kapersky or vice versa- they're all on the same level IMO.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
MalwareBytes is Czech Republic, more trustworthy ?

I'd trust an EU member over Russia any day. Yes.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

IDK, maybe because one of the Kapersky scum was behind the Yahoo hack, as was a member of the Russian (SVR?) intell services? Although, it might not have been officially sanctioned and could have been just bent KGB-esque agents doing cybercrime. But even Russian security forces arrested a top Kapersky official along with one of their own in connection with this...

There are many honest and innocent Russian people, I suspect ones that work at Kapersky. But they might not be in control anymore...

Incidentally, I dumped ZoneAlarm over this a while back...

Yep. I think Eugene is a standup dude and he's not afraid to criticize the Russian Gov't. But like you said, how much control does he have. How does he know who employees are really working for. We know our own Intel agencies plant mole employees. So I'm sure the Russians do the same thing.

If you haven't read 'Countdown to Zero Day' about the Stuxnet bug you should. I would trust Kapersky in my computer no more than the FBI. I've got no more quarrel with most Russians than I do with anyone else, but I'm no Kapersky fan.

What about "Russian" and "anti-Virus Software" makes people suspicious? hmmm.....
My friend Vladimer tells me: "Eeez Good. You use. Silly Americans just paranoid...".
114d0b4da3726ec3cb5d0a454db5fb3c.jpg

Also to everyone saying we're paranoid. This most recent ransomware/wiper attack that targeted Ukraine spread globally and hit everyone but the Russians...take from that what you will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

How does that help you for no-click exploits.. for example malicious hacked banner ads? or sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back