Trying to figure out what filters to keep in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Background, mostly a dealership automotive tech who is opening his own shop. Right now I am trying to figure out what oil filters I want to use and keep in stock. I will be using Mobil 1 for my oils, so I want a filter thats halfway decent. I know I dont like the pronto (XL parts house brand) or Car quest brands.
The guys on this forum have much more experience with all the filter makes and testing out there than I do, so what are some good choices for me to keep in stock for my oil changes? Napa golds, Denso, Bosch, Full, Mobil, etc?

Since I dont have a ton of experience with all filters I thought I would ask those that do, and see what you would like to see in a shop if you went to get your oil changed.

Thanks

Filters that are cheap yet sturdy enough to do the job. Most owners won't care if you use one filter over the other. I think the Napa ProSelect filters are a good choice, you could likely get a business discount.

As for oil, it might be worth offering a cheaper option to the Mobil 1 as well. One of my friends works as a manager at a mom and pop oil change place. They have a regular conventional oil option (Pennzoil) and then a synthetic oil change option (Mobil 1) for a bit more.

I'd also use Napa Proselect. They're a quality filter that won't break the bank. I second the recommendation to have a cheaper oil- maybe MS5K, PYB or VWB? Some people will balk at the price of M1, so you may want to consider a cheaper oil option.

Luckily, I have a very good relationship with the Mobil distributor down here, so iam getting mobil and mobil 1 at a VERY Good price in bulk, I could save a little bit by going to service pro or another brand, but thats not what I am wanting.

I do have accounts with XL, World Pac, Napa, etc. so I could get the napa golds at a very decent price. I just have zero experience with them besides being told they are made by wix.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'd also use Napa Proselect. They're a quality filter that won't break the bank. I second the recommendation to have a cheaper oil- maybe MS5K, PYB or VWB? Some people will balk at the price of M1, so you may want to consider a cheaper oil option.

My oil change prices are 37.99 for Syn blend, and 67.99 full synthetic. up to 5 quarts. I normally have some sort of special on oil changes, 5 bucks off or similar.

That's a good deal for synblend, the Valvoline quick change place by my house wants $62.99 for synblend change, of course, there's always a $7 off coupon available online. Still, $55 vs $32 with your coupon, good deal.

running a business is hard, especially one that is so competitive. While it's encouraging that you value quality of work and materials, remember that most people aren't bitog people and only care that your oil change coupon is a dollar cheaper than the next guy. Never lose sight of your profit margins to give someone something they won't really benefit from nor appreciate without an explanation. Have something cheap to get them in the door then educate/upsell them on the better option

Last edited:
Do you have AutoPlus near your? You can get Multi-Packs (12) of their AutoExtra brand of filters (made by Wix) very inexpensively. Also, the PepBoys/AP line of conventional oil, ProLine is very affordable and a decent WPP conventional.

You may want to consider that for a lower tier of oil change to offer to customers.

Originally Posted By: MarcS
running a business is hard, especially one that is so competitive. While it's encouraging that you value quality of work and materials, remember that most people aren't bitog people and only care that your oil change coupon is a dollar cheaper than the next guy. Never lose sight of your profit margins to give someone something they won't really benefit from nor appreciate without an explanation. Have something cheap to get them in the door then educate/upsell them on the better option

^This

I agree with the others on NAPA Pro-Select. If you have an account with them makes it even easier. Keep a basic stock of common filters, but NAPA should be able to deliver ones you don't have pretty quickly.

Pro Select is a good ~5000 mile filter, but I would have some conventional option for the "cheap" oil change as well.

So Pro-select for conventional, NAPA Silver for blend changes, Napa Gold for Syn changes. Gives the customer some choices (though most will say "Give me the cheapest", not caring at all.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I agree with the others on NAPA Pro-Select. If you have an account with them makes it even easier. Keep a basic stock of common filters, but NAPA should be able to deliver ones you don't have pretty quickly.

Pro Select is a good ~5000 mile filter, but I would have some conventional option for the "cheap" oil change as well.

So Pro-select for conventional, NAPA Silver for blend changes, Napa Gold for Syn changes. Gives the customer some choices (though most will say "Give me the cheapest", not caring at all.

The shop my friend works at has a counter display of certain oil filters cut open, as well as a chart about synthetic oil vs. conventional in the waiting room. He said he was surprised how many people looked at those and then opted for the more expensive option.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

The shop my friend works at has a counter display of certain oil filters cut open, as well as a chart about synthetic oil vs. conventional in the waiting room. He said he was surprised how many people looked at those and then opted for the more expensive option.

With the internet, websites such as this, people are much more educated and you would be surprised how many questions they ask about oil, filters, and the parts used on a repair in general.

I have no conventional oil change, Only Syn. blend and full synthetic. Both Mobil Oil. I do keep some Motul 300v in stock for the sport / super cars I work on but thats a totally different catogory.
Customers who want a 24.99 oil change are not my customer, and luckily I dont have to fight that very much. I still keep my margins where I need them to be on my oil changes, much in part with my relationship with my Local mobil dealer and the prices he gives me. I deal with mostly newer vehicles so like you said, most people dont mind spending the few extra bucks for a good oil change, and appreciate I use that stuff with every oil change and not just b.c. they ask about it.

There will always be customers who dont care what you put in and only want the 19.99 special, but thats not what we do, and you just have to politely explain that to them and they understand 99.9% of the time.

Back on topic though, It seems the Napa golds are a good choice? Anyone have experience with the company "Full" ? World pac sells them and they are supposed to be pretty good but I cant find much on them.

Thank you everyone for the reply's!

Last edited:
Are you opening an oil change shop or an auto shop that does it all like wheel bearings and head gaskets?
And will your shop have a special niche like working on Japanese vehicles only, certain German brands, every brand?
It would be easier stocking less if you had a niche. Example: http://tongdaauto.net
You gonna stock one of these filters?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Are you opening an oil change shop or an auto shop that does it all like wheel bearings and head gaskets?
And will your shop have a special niche like working on Japanese vehicles only, certain German brands, every brand?
It would be easier stocking less if you had a niche. Example: http://tongdaauto.net
You gonna stock one of these filters?

It will be a full service auto repair shop, I have multiple manufacture diagnostic software, special tools, etc. Oil changes here in Houston are just part of the game to get people in to try you out.
My niche is Japanese and euro cars. I drive two Audis, so yes I will have that filter in stock
wink.gif

I don't know how they do it, but the local Honda dealership always has coupons for $19.99 synblend oil changes and $29.99 for full synthetic. Toyota is $39,99 for full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
I don't know how they do it, but the local Honda dealership always has coupons for $19.99 synblend oil changes and $29.99 for full synthetic. Toyota is $39,99 for full synthetic.

Cheap oil. Dealerships get oil from whatever supplier they want, Avery, JAM, Kendall, etc. Each dealer has something different most times. That, and they pay the lube rack kids next to nothing per hour, so they break even in hopes they can sell you a filter, brakes, alignment, etc.

Originally Posted By: Spoooolin
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech

Cheap oil. Dealerships get oil from whatever supplier they want, Avery, JAM, Kendall, etc. Each dealer has something different most times. That, and they pay the lube rack kids next to nothing per hour, so they break even in hopes they can sell you a filter, brakes, alignment, etc.

Exactly, they are counting on getting you in the garage and then upselling you something you probably don't need. Then it becomes "dealer-recommended" and people fall for it.

With the internet, websites such as this, people are much more educated and you would be surprised how many questions they ask about oil, filters, and the parts used on a repair in general.

I have no conventional oil change, Only Syn. blend and full synthetic. Both Mobil Oil. I do keep some Motul 300v in stock for the sport / super cars I work on but thats a totally different catogory.
Customers who want a 24.99 oil change are not my customer, and luckily I dont have to fight that very much. I still keep my margins where I need them to be on my oil changes, much in part with my relationship with my Local mobil dealer and the prices he gives me. I deal with mostly newer vehicles so like you said, most people dont mind spending the few extra bucks for a good oil change, and appreciate I use that stuff with every oil change and not just b.c. they ask about it.

There will always be customers who dont care what you put in and only want the 19.99 special, but thats not what we do, and you just have to politely explain that to them and they understand 99.9% of the time.

Back on topic though, It seems the Napa golds are a good choice? Anyone have experience with the company "Full" ? World pac sells them and they are supposed to be pretty good but I cant find much on them.

Well if you're just doing changes to meet customers requests, then I can see that.

NAPA Gold would be a great choice, and with the NAPA discount you should be getting, that would be a good price point as well.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Gotcha. For some reason I got the impression you were just starting up a shop, but it sounds like you already have an established customer base. NAPA Golds/Wix are a great filter to use. I have cut open quite a few and they always look great, even after 10k miles. They are what I use on my own vehicles/equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back