Decent alternative to AC Delco tie rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced my outer tie rods on my 05 Malibu TWICE this past year with some AC Delco Professional parts. They replaced the original outer tie rods after roughly 120k. The originals were actually still solid, but the inners were bad so I figured their time was coming.

Well, within 9 months those new outers had developed play in the knuckle, so I did a warranty, had another alignment done, and all was well...for less than 3 months. Obvious play is back. I can tell when descending a canyon as my front end will shake violently every time I apply the brakes. Jacking up the front end you can see noticeable play when moving the tire.

So what gives? I've typically had good results with AC Delco Professional parts. This calls into question all the other ACD parts on my car now. The outers APPEARED to be high-quality when they arrived. Installation is a cinch (it is a tie rod...nothing to it), and I use high quality grease in the joints.

I'm wary of doing another warranty replacement...I think I might take my losses and try a different brand. I'm thinking of going for something sealed. Sure, they grease-able ones MIGHT last longer, but considering my original sealed ones lasted over 120k and my greaseable ones lasted less than 10k, I'm not too worried.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Well, this is alarming to me, since AC pro chassis parts were always my go to for top notch stuff.

Moog is not what it used to be IMO.

I've had very good luck with Mevotech stuff.

Can you get OE from GM? That might be your best bet.

This may sound like a stupid question but did you grease them when you installed them or did you wait till the next OCI? The amount of grease they ship with is only enough for assy.
I cant think of any reason for the failure unless they somehow went dry, even the cheapest ones will go longer than 10K. Try non greasable ones from TRW, they are well made and should go the same distance as OE.

Check for cut boots, the greasable inflate more than the non greasable and some GM cars with aluminum knuckles have a sharp ridge near the boot. It doesn't seem to effect the originals but it can cut greasable aftermarket ones like a razor, its hard to see the cut.
The fix is to grind and round off the sharp ridge with a hand grinder or Dremel (takes a little more time but works)

I have had great luck on my Explorers using Detroit Axle parts. Dirt cheap through Amazon..but they have held up well..some nearing 40,000 miles. Some of their other parts are even made in USA.

Yeah, they've always been greased on installation. And the miles put on the car during that period were less harsh than what the previous 120k looked like.

Moog does have Problem Solvers for this car. I've used Moog in the past with mixed results...might be worth a try. Maybe I'll see if RA would credit me towards some Moog parts over exchanging for some ACDs again...doubtful, but maybe.

By the way, anyone familiar with these MAS parts that seem to have popped up on RA? I've seen a few postings about them but nothing conclusive. I've never noticed them until recently...they somehow made it into the "premium" section on RA (if that actually holds any weight).

Looks like I can get some OE parts for ~$55/each. Double the price of the ACD parts, but makes up for it if it saves me from yet another alignment. Wish I would have gone that route right from the start!

So yeah, OE might work...I'll stew over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back