Mobil 0w40 good enough for a race car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BMW e36 M3 race car. Would the members of this forum feel comfortable running Mobil 1 0w40 European formula in a racecar?

The alternative is Redline racing 40w which I believe is a 15w40.

Years ago when I worked for PTG (North American BMW Race Team for ALMS) we ran Castrol 0W40 right off the shelf. I'd think M1 0W40 would be up to the task, its a stout oil and the only M1 oil I will use.

E36 m3 was built before LL-01 was a thing. LL-98 was the spec for those cars originally. The factory oil we put in those was 15w-40.

LL-98 spec is tough to find these days, but I do know that Motul x-cess 5w-40 used to meet the spec, per the 5 year old bottle on my shelf in the garage. Not sure it still does tho.

I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 in that. It is up to the task. Pretty much any 40wt synthetic will be acceptable imho.

Originally Posted By: junkyard_sal
I have a BMW e36 M3 race car. Would the members of this forum feel comfortable running Mobil 1 0w40 European formula in a racecar?

It depends on how long the race is. M1 0w40 has a reputation for shearing down in viscosity from breaking the VII additives. No endurance racing then. Anything over an hour and I'd go for Castrol Edge 0w40 if you need that extra bit of horsepower on the ground, and Mobil1 15w50 or Redline 40 if you don't mind the slight horsepower loss from using thicker oil, yet want your engine to be more reliable.

Tradeoff: More HP to win, then use Castrol Edge 0w40.
More insurance on durability: Go with the thicker HTHS synthetics.
Whatever your priorities are.
And only use M1 0w40 if the race is an hour or less.

Originally Posted By: junkyard_sal

The term "racecar" is pretty vague. What kind of racing? How modified is the engine? What kind of tracks will it see? How often will it get raced? etc.

In the past, we've talked about professional race teams at major races using M1 0W-40 in their motors. So, yes, it would seem that it is up to the task for a race car. I've used it in my track cars, as well, without any issues that I know of.

Most of the races are half an hour sprints with an occasional 1 hour "enduro" We run Redline 40W racing in the enduro cars that do 12 hour runs and we change the oil nightly. I change my oil every ten hours.

The exhaust is open, no cats.

In my class the engine is stock except for a cold air intake, removal of emissions devices (like the startup air pump), and a no cat 3" exhaust. The car will rev to 7000 but I have a 7 quart oil pan and an oil cooler that keeps temps well in line, normally 215-225F unless I am in traffic in which case I need to run the fan to force more air through the radiators but that is more for coolant temps than oil temps.

Ilmor engineering recommends M1 0w-40 for my 710 marine engine.

Operationally it spends most running hours in 2 conditions idling (in and out of marinas)or running between 4-6K for hours on end.

Change at 20 hours.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Do you know your oil temps and pressures?

This !

If the oil temps stay under 250ºF then xxW-40 is good. If they get any higher I would go to xxW-50.

But for racing, I find better shear resistance from Ester base stock oils than PAO base oils. Not much, but a little.
You are going to want 1100-1400 ppm of ZDDP to protect the finger followers.

Temps are below 115C, 239F, even in traffic. Pressure is a pretty consistent give or take 10psi/1000rpm when on track where the revs are between 4k and 7k.

Last edited:
Pump or race gas?

ah I see the verdict is in- thread moved fast.

UD

Last edited:
I personally would run Redline 5w30 or 5w40 because of it's shear stability as well as it's healthy helping of zinc.

If your oil temps are getting above 250, it might be a good idea to get an oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
It depends on how long the race is. M1 0w40 has a reputation for shearing down in viscosity from breaking the VII additives. No endurance racing then.

You had better inform several GT3 teams of this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back