Shoe sizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are shoe sizes determined? Is a show size of 13 actually the length of your foot, standing and measured from heel to longest toe? Weird question, I know but, need an answer. Ed

Last edited:
Problem is that manufactures vary so much. I have a pair of boots that say 9 and another that are 11. My favorite boot manufacture, Georgia Boot is and has been 10W for decades and allows me to order online with confidence. No longer driving 2 hours for good boots. But that's been with the same toe design.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Problem is that manufactures vary so much. I have a pair of boots that say 9 and another that are 11. My favorite boot manufacture, Georgia Boot is and has been 10W for decades and allows me to order online with confidence. No longer driving 2 hours for good boots. But that's been with the same toe design.

That has to do with different lasts. Once you find a last that is a good fit for your specific foot, you can literally order any shoe on that last and it will fit the same.

The most annoying part about shoe sizing is every country does it a different way. The adidas shoes I'm wearing now display the following sizes on the tongue:

US 12
UK 11 1/2
FR 46 2/3 (yep, 2/3!)
JP 300
CHN 290

Not confusing at all, is it?
smile.gif

Running shoes should also be bought a size to a size and a half bigger than your casual shoes. I wear a 9.5 in casual/dress and 11 in running.

Basketball shoes (and probably running shoes) run small compared to work boots and many casual shoes, at least at the larger sizes (15 and over).

In the UK GOOD SHOE fitting involves the girth of your foot (measured in 2 places) in addition to length and width.

I had a pair of blue soled (non-court smudging) white canvas Adidas which said 11.5 US- 46 2/3 EU. Best fitted sneakers I ever had.

A problem I find when buying footwear in the USA is finding an EE width, it seems British feet are wider than American ones.

Claud.

A problem I find when buying footwear in the USA is finding an EE width, it seems British feet are wider than American ones.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
How are shoe sizes determined? Is a show size of 13 actually the length of your foot, standing and measured from heel to longest toe? Weird question, I know but, need an answer. Ed

"""Fit""" is the only way to buy shoes. It could say two-sizes-off on the box and if it fits your feet, that's all that matters. Same with determining width.

Shoes come from all corners of our planet these days. There are no international laws that require shoe makers a specific size for every listed numerical number on the box. Tolerances are lazy and remain so.

Non-exact sizing seemed to begin with the Italian shoes, probably dating back to the Roaring-20s or the Stock Market crash era. Now it's everywhere and the Orient is the current shoe King of the Non-Exacts.

The thing I love is when you buy a pair of shoes from the same company of the shoes youre currently wearing and they are two sizes too small. (Nike)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back