Parked car with deflated tires, sidewall damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family friend let her Camry sit in the garage for 2 years straight. 2 of the tires got deflated probably due to a slow leak from the valve stem or bad contact with the rim. Are the sidewalls permanently damaged now?

I know there will be major flat spotting that may be permanent, but if that fixes itself after a few days of driving I wonder if the sidewalls will hold up?

What are your experiences?

That's a pretty long while to sit flat. See how they look and feel after being aired up. You'll probably want to over inflate them to help with the flat spotting.

I'd be more worried about the gasoline...

Tires can be easily replaced and have little to no ill effect on surrounding items.

Gasoline that potentially had ethanol in it would have absorbed moisture from the atmosphere.. oh boy..

My ex girlfriend's dad did the same thing w his benz. I took the wheel / tire to a local shop I trusted and he recommended tire replacement because the sidewall was damaged so that is what we did.

Any obvious stress cracking ...

You'll get safety concious folks who would replace. And gamblers that would drive on them. How far, how fast, in how much heat - all depends.

In Alaska I'd run them until they blew. And have three spares in the back. In AZ in Phoenix in the summer on the freeway, maybe not ...

Last edited:
what do you plan to do with the car? let it sit for another 2 years or start to use it?

Pumped the tires up, doesn't seem to be flat spotted surprisingly, no bulges on the sidewalls either. Pirelli P4 all seasons will keep an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back