5W-30 for longer engine life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a new 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition. I plan to keep this care very long term...10-12 years or so. I drive about 12,000 a yearly, mainly in the suburbs of Central NJ. Hyundai calls for EITHER 5W-20 or 5W-30 in owner's manual. Although the oil change is mark 5W-20. Would using a 5W-30 oil be a better choice if I plan to keep the car 10-12 years. Or is the difference so minimal that it would not make a difference. I am in NJ, so we have 4 seasons.

Thanks

Last edited:
While I prefer a 30 wt compared to a 20 wt because it has a greater safety margin. There would be probably no difference in life of the engine. Countless engines are turning over 200,000 + miles running 20 wts.

Originally Posted By: CT8
While I prefer a 30 wt compared to a 20 wt because it has a greater safety margin. There would be probably no difference in life of the engine. Countless engines are turning over 200,000 + miles running 20 wts.

Like my Fusion. I use 0-20 and my engines perform very well.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CT8

Like my Fusion. I use 0-20 and my engines perform very well.
As a matter of fact yes with 10,000 mile oil changes and they look great under the valve cover !

Run the 5W-20 during the winter and 5W-30 in the winter. Likely not going to make a big difference. 5W-20 is better for the shorter trips.

If I did not have 5w-30 I need to use up I would have used 5w-20 in my Elantra.

I think tig1 has the answer. A friend bought a new Lexus and the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year with 0w-20.

Hopefully our engine will not have the problems like the Theta II in the Sonata's.

Oh, and I bought my car with 9 miles on the odometer. I beat you by that much!
grin.gif

It likely isn't going to make that big of a difference.

Since the owner's manual allows for 5w30, that's what I use in my Sonata. It won't get 5w20 ever, I just don't see the point since the owner's manual allows for a thicker oil. It also recommends the lighter oil for fuel economy, which I don't care about.

So basically it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Use whatever you want. 5w20 one change and 5w30 the next or use only 5w20...or only 5w30. No difference. Go to autozone during their oil sale and stock up on both. Thats what I do.

for the long haul especially a GDI 0/40 for sure..Castrol 0/40 is a monster compared to these ILSAC & API W30's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Recently purchased a new 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition. I plan to keep this care very long term...10-12 years or so. I drive about 12,000 a yearly, mainly in the suburbs of Central NJ. Hyundai calls for EITHER 5W-20 or 5W-30 in owner's manual. Although the oil change is mark 5W-20. Would using a 5W-30 oil be a better choice if I plan to keep the car 10-12 years. Or is the difference so minimal that it would not make a difference. I am in NJ, so we have 4 seasons.

Thanks

As long as you're not throwing 20w50 in every oil change I'd say you're golden. Focus your worries elsewhere bro.

Either will do just fine.

I would use 5W30, but your car and your choice. As long as you do regular oil changes, you will be fine.

All I can say is experiment. I ran synthetic 5w-20 last oil change for the first time and the engine seemed to sound quiet. Just did a change with peak 5w-30 first time using 30 wt. and it sounds even quieter! All it's ever seen previously was conventional 20 wt's. I have the 2.0 engine however. I would also at least use a weight that's recommended in case of warranty issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back