2012 yaris flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i just picked up a 12 yaris with 113k on the clock. I contacted the dealer and was told the transmission fluid does not need to be changed but it looks dark. it has a dipstick so i'm assuming it also has a drain bolt beneath, any recommendations on a fluid? dealer said it uses the toyota ws fluid. i was considering doing 3 to 4 drain and fills but unsure of what fluid to use. any recommendations? thanks

Stick with WS if you are doing drain/refills instead of a complete fluid exchange. If doing a complete fluid exchange I would use Maxlife. I would recommend changing the ATF filter since it hasn't been changed.

WS is a pefectly mediocre dino fluid, and with better, cheaper options availabe it wouldn't be the best move to refill with it. Castrol, Pennzoil, and Valvoline all make LV synthetics that are more robust and are good in WS applications.

At that mileage, I'd do a cooler line exchange and replace it with MaxLife or similar. Dropping the pan to check things out, if you can, is not a bad idea but I don't think 100% necessary. Don't forget your PS system, too. And you do the brakes periodically too, right?

Last edited:
i literally just got it this morning. i was thinking of using maxlife but was going to do multiple drain and fills. instead of the cooler line flush. is there a filter there or is it a screen? and good call on the power steering fluid i totally forgot thanks.

You are good to go doing drain and fills. Trans filter should be cheap so I would replace it. Use whatever compatible fluid you like best. I went with castrol transmax import when I did my daughter's Camry.

Drain and fill over a few thousand miles. Give the new fluid time to remove deposits and then swap again.

Three should be more than enough. The third being permanent

Unless you're 100% sure that that trans uses an actual filter and not just a screen, don't even crack the pan. Drain and fill is more than fine.

That said, doing multiple drains and fills is a waste unless you spread them out a bit. Doing them every few thousand miles, like when you're under there to change your oil anyway, is your best bet.

Personally, I would D/F it at your next oil change, then once more at the following one and never touch it again. Doing it 3 or 4 times is overkill and a waste of money and materials.

first choice is Maxlife ATF, a BITOG favorite.

Second choice, Castrol Full Synthetic ATF

Third choice, any modern synthetic LV multi-vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back