Filter for B&S 724 cc V-Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a John Deere D140 lawn tractor that is now three years old. After the initial 8-hour factory fill oil change, I've been changing it at the end of the season. Those changes included a Wix 51348 filter.

Moving forward, I am considering staying with the Wix filter, moving to a Wix XP filter, or moving to a Fram XG 3614 filter. The bypass setting on the XG 3614 is a little higher than the others. The Wix XP has a lower filtering efficiency, but I have to wonder if that matters in this application.

I've had only one piece of OPE go "boom" in the last 35 years, and that one didn't have an oil filter. Boom isn't really the right word here, but those of you with similar experiences will know what I mean.

I would use the cheapest one to be honest. I doubt the motor will notice the difference.

Really don't think filter matters as long as its good construction all of above are alog with OEM. More importantly feed it good oil and E0 fuel it will live a long happy life I like Amsoil ASE Small Engine Oil in my high end equipment.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I have a John Deere D140 lawn tractor that is now three years old. After the initial 8-hour factory fill oil change, I've been changing it at the end of the season. Those changes included a Wix 51348 filter.

Moving forward, I am considering staying with the Wix filter, moving to a Wix XP filter, or moving to a Fram XG 3614 filter. The bypass setting on the XG 3614 is a little higher than the others. The Wix XP has a lower filtering efficiency, but I have to wonder if that matters in this application.

I've had only one piece of OPE go "boom" in the last 35 years, and that one didn't have an oil filter. Boom isn't really the right word here, but those of you with similar experiences will know what I mean.

The filter choices you are looking at are the best oil filters made. You can't go wrong either way. The efficiency maybe a little better with the Fram ultra. I wouldn't worry about the bypass setting because lawn mower engines only really stay at one rpm setting and it is a very low RPM at that, usually 3,500 or so. I don't see how the oil pressure would climb fast enough for the bypass to come into play unless the media was completely plugged up, which isn't going to happen with you changing the filter every year.

The correct Fram filter is an PH8170 which cost as much as a standard B&S filter here in FL. Why not just get the correct B&S filter and be done with the search and sleep well? ED

The oil pump in your engine is tiny compared to a car.

It will *never* pump enough volume (flow) that it will ever go into bypass..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back