Which Tire Repair Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to a properly inflated spare, Viair compressor, etc., I'm looking for a tire repair kit to put in all of my vehicles.

I've seen plugs, mushrooms, you name it. What type of tire repair kit would you recommend for plugging holes in the tread area? Any other tools such as needle-nose pliers that would make the job easier?

Thanks.

You'll need:
1. The T-handle rasp to bore out the steel plies so they don't catch on the plug.
2. The T-handle plug inserter.
3. The plugs.
4. Pliers to remove the foreign object.
5. Optionally they sell a vulcanizing agent which is like rubber cement in a little can with an applicator. I like to put this all over the hole, on the plug and insert it in. Once it's all done and I cut the tail ends of the plug off, I put the vulcanizing agent all over the plug too. The VA also acts like a lubricant to make it easier to push and pull on the plug.

You probably won't find any other style of tire kit. The plug ones are most common and very cheap and always got the job done for me.

I'm not a fan of plugs, they can get you to a repair shop but I've never had a plug that did not fully leak over night.

They make these 2 part patches for tires. It's a little more work and probably can't be done on the side of the road but basically it's used on the inside of the tire. You clean the hole area then you place the first patch on it and role over it with the needle tool. It releases the adhesive on the inside of the first path. You then put the second patch on and use the tool again and it fuses the patches into the tire.

The kits that Walmart sells work out fine. Get the better one with the T-handle tools. If you need anything extra a pliers might be good to have to pull out the offending object and straight edge razor blade comes in handy to trim the plug flush with the tire.

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby
In addition to a properly inflated spare, Viair compressor, etc., I'm looking for a tire repair kit to put in all of my vehicles.

I've seen plugs, mushrooms, you name it. What type of tire repair kit would you recommend for plugging holes in the tread area? Any other tools such as needle-nose pliers that would make the job easier?

Thanks.

No better substitute.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10000010-Orange-Speedy-Repair/dp/B004P91FCO

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
The kits that Walmart sells work out fine. Get the better one with the T-handle tools. If you need anything extra a pliers might be good to have to pull out the offending object and straight edge razor blade comes in handy to trim the plug flush with the tire.

Walmart does a good job with flat repairs. They put a plug in that melds right into the tread. This happened shortly after I bought the tires and that was 60k miles ago with no issues.

I use this Safety Seal kit. Dozens of repairs on mine and friend's tires without a problem. Looks similar to the ARB kit suggested by SKVenture which is probably also a good kit.

Safety Seal

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Dynaplug ?

I am looking at one myself, I like the idea of not rasping the hole out much bigger than a small nail, basically it doesn't seem to do any more damage than already done. Even if a temp fix it wont make more of a mess so the proper patch plug patch can be used. This one is SS is on my list.

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro_xtreme.html

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
this

The ones that Walmart will normally work but I have broken the T-Handle then it becomes a real pain to work with. Fortunately I was at work and able to use a drill to ream out the hole. I do like the looks of the Dynaplug which require no reaming to create more damage. nice design but I have not used them. Never had any issues with the standard plugs but definitely prefer the long stringy type over the round rubber ones that resemble a valve stem.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I'm not a fan of plugs, they can get you to a repair shop but I've never had a plug that did not fully leak over night.

You're doing something wrong.

I have one had plugged tire leak for every 80-90 that don't leak, not even the tiniest bit.

Maybe don't ream the hole so much?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Any thoughts on the Dynaplug ?

I am looking at one myself, I like the idea of not rasping the hole out much bigger than a small nail, basically it doesn't seem to do any more damage than already done. Even if a temp fix it wont make more of a mess so the proper patch plug patch can be used. This one is SS is on my list.

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro_xtreme.html

From the Dynaplug FAQ:

Quote:
2. What happens if the brass tip comes loose inside my tire?
If the brass tip comes loose you have nothing to worry about. We chose brass for the specific reason that it's non-abrasive to the tire. We have conducted centrifugal testing and our findings showed that the tip will eventually break down and disintegrate.

Hmmmm. Brass disintegrates inside a tire?

Picked up a nail in the worst possible spot--right near the junction of the tread and the sidewall. Went to two different repair shops both of whom refused to plug the tire. Wound up buying a new tire. Now I have 1 new tire and 3 tires with half their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back