does "wrapping" a car influence heat dissappation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I use a wrap on a vehicle, can it insulate the engine compartment in a negative way, keeping more heat in? It is after all a thin layer of plastic.
Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

50.gif

With no fans running and car not moving I can see a microscopic increase due to an additional layer of insulation on the hood. I will not be enough of a concern for me, unless I'm doing it to my jeep that idles extensively and sees a lot of low speed operation on large inclines. I removed the insulation from under the hood for that reason.
This
mk2-Golf-GTI-engine-bay.jpg

VS this
2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-25.jpg

probably causes 10x as much heat to be trapped than the wrap.

So, if you are not saran wrapping your grille and vents, there will be no measurable difference.

I think the OP is referring to the vinyl wrap that's currently being used on cars.
It's usually cheaper than a paint job, but doesn't last as long.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I think the OP is referring to the vinyl wrap that's currently being used on cars.
It's usually cheaper than a paint job, but doesn't last as long.
Yup, thanks for clarifying. Dissipation

Yes, it will act as an insulator. I wouldn't expect it to make a massive difference unless perhaps the car was air cooled, sitting in Death Valley, and running at WOT while standing still.

A lot of wrap jobs also cover some of the rear window. I could see that helping the AC like tint would.

The wrap guys cut on every body seam so I see air currents working the same as they did before.

Depending on how flashy the wrap is and how you drive, it could bring the "heat" down on you.

"No officer, it was the other neon rainbow SUV that was speeding."

I think you will be fine on the engine heat concern though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back