Downside for aftermarket OPE starters like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of paying John Deere $512.46 for one, are there any downsides of buying a starter such as this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PREMIUM-STARTER-KAWASAKI-SMALL-ENGINE-FD501D-FD620D-FD661D-/361129073558

The starter that John Deere sells me won't even be a John Deere part. It will be someone else's part, that comes in a John Deere box. And apparently, that John Deere cardboard box will cost over $450.00.

I bought an aftermarket eBay regulator for the other Deere last year, at a fraction of what Deere wanted. Bolted up correctly and works just fine.

If it fits and works for a year, you are $450 ahead
smile.gif

What's the question again ...

I would use that in a heartbeat at that price difference, just make sure the tooth mesh is okay. If its quiet and crank normally its probably fine.

There will be nothing wrong with the starter from ebay. It may have even come off the same assembly line as the one John Deere will sell you.

As for the price markup on genuine John Deere parts, somebody has got to pay for the executive salaries.
True story: My co-worker has a brother working as a salesman at a nearby John Deere tractor/combine/ag equipment dealership. My co-worker and his brother farm together and they had a shaft and bearing assembly from their combine harvester fail during the current wheat harvest that is just wrapping up in this area. The MSRP for this part is $2100 at the local John Deere dealership. In other words, if you or I went into the dealership and wanted this part, we would pay $2100. Since my co-worker's brother works at the dealership, they got it at cost for $1100. So that's ALMOST a 100% markup. I guess green paint is very expensive. Unfortunately, the other colors of farm paint are just as high.

Provided that starter is easy to R/R, I wouldn't hesitate to use one that is not $512.46. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back