Fuel Pump Maintenance Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually one of the main reasons I use MMO in my fuel. My fuel pump is in the fuel tank and replacing it will be a problem if I ever have to. So I use MMO to lubricate the pump and hopefully, I say hopefully, never have to worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Give me some tips (aside from keeping gasoline levels up)on maintaining FP

Nothing. Not even "keeping gas levels up". May have helped in the past (but doubtful) but as long as you don't run it out of fuel there is always something cooling the pump.

Forget the MMO for almost anything.

Fuel pumps fail due to lack of cooling. Fuel running through the pump cools it. Suck air and no cooling, possible fuel pump damage.

To avoid fuel pump failures avoid GM vehicles around 1993.

Last edited:
I never run less than 1/4 tank. I ALSO recommend that you change your fuel filter if it has one. The posts above me did not mention it. I can watch the duty cycle of the fuel pump on my vehicles through TP. I have watched it drop by 15% JUST changing the filter. I'm sure it runs hotter on a restricting filter. ...it will push and push trying to Maintain a set pressure, drawing more current little by little and burn itself out when the filter restriction gets to much.
PS the only data I have to back this up is the duty cycle numbers from the TP app. I know some of you guys will try to shoot holes in my theory and not have a valid reason. My numbers are at 105k miles DC = 47%. New filter DC =31%. Same conditions...same day.. just changed the filter= less load on the pump.

As others have mentioned I also don't think the "keeping the tank above 1/4" has anything to do with it. My custom is to run right down to empty virtually every time, and my fuel pumps are fine.

I run down to the point where the light comes on in the Mazda. The truck I don't mess around with because I don't trust the 22 year old fuel gauge. I hate being stranded and I really hate being stranded for dumb reasons.

Plan to change fuel pump as PM. The OEM fuel pump in my 02 Silverado went out at 98,000mi during a mission critical job so I threw in another OEM pump and plan to replace it at 190,000mi. Also replace fuel filter every 3 years.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
Actually one of the main reasons I use MMO in my fuel. My fuel pump is in the fuel tank and replacing it will be a problem if I ever have to. So I use MMO to lubricate the pump and hopefully, I say hopefully, never have to worry about it.

+1!

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
TWC-3 at ridiculously dilute ratios.

Does the fuel contact the pump bearings? I thought they were sealed.

That's a good question. I was always under the impression that everything inside the pump is saturated in fuel; brushes, bearings, armiture etc. Had to actually google search for something to back it up.
here's the standard Denso style which I'm familiar with.
commercial-vehicle-LD-fuelpump1.jpg

commercial-vehicle-LD-fuelpump2.jpg

Appears to be a plain-style composite bearing to boot.
GM style doesn't appear to differ significantly.
electric_fuel_pump_cutaway_view.jpg

Side-note: full internal saturation effectively renders tank level inconsequential to pump life and cooling.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The brushes wear out.

Replace your fuel pump every 200k or get AAA!

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
That's a good question. I was always under the impression that everything inside the pump is saturated in fuel; brushes, bearings, armiture etc. Had to actually google search for something to back it up.

Brushes cannot be in fuel, because they spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back