Opinion on used tires - BridgeStone Blizzak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off Craigslist: Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2 Tire 265/70R17 (115R)

Looking at 4 used tires, the owner says they have 1000 miles on them and used for 2 months only, came off some Toyota.

$400 for 4 tires is the asking price. Have not seen the tread in person but in the pics does not seem bad. I cannot estimate the depth. Is 400 reasonable for these 4 tires? They are not an expensive tire, a Walmart tire that goes 600 for the set of 4.

What would be a good offer to make? He has them for sale for weeks with no bites.

Of course its CL, maybe they have 5000 miles on them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bridgestone-BLIZZAK-DM-V2-Tire-265-70R17-115R/48568165#about-item

The difference from used to new is only another $200...and that comes with a warranty. I'd rather spend the $600. Age? UV cracking? Too many other variables. The seller should be able to give you the tread depth on each tire. If not, I wouldn't even consider them.

I wouldn't pay more than half of new, for excellent tires. That $600 new probably doesn't include the $50-$75 mfg rebates that often show up 2-3X per year.

You need the date code as well from the sidewall. I bought a set of used Blizzaks years ago and used thwm for 4 or 5 years until I got rid of my sienna.

They are very good snow tires. I bought a set for my caravan as well.

I would say $200-250 max.

Does it make sense to run then in the summer at all?

I do not think I can score a tire that sells for 600 per set new for $200, seriously? Unless they half less than half tread and are beat up. Welcome to DC area.

Last edited:
Update.
Looked at them. They had a lot more wear than 1000/1 month. The seller was kind of shady. Not giving the address, lying about mileage. One tire had obviously more wear in the middle than others.
They have been on CL for a month, not selling at 400, but the seller goes I have several people interested - yeah right.

That CL ad will be up until it expires @ $400. With a season or two use, they'd still be worth $200-250 in my area. Factor in ~$80 to have them mounted/balanced. As you say, to buy them new, your out the door cost would be over $500. I know I bought a used set of Blizzaks for our 2008 Honda Odyssey. I paid in the $260 range for them IIRC. I used them for at least two seasons and sold them on CL after I sold that van. Don't recall what I sold them for, but I think it was over $100.

Have you actually seen the tires yet?

I have seen many used sets of winters for sale. "Only 4 months old, used for less than one winter, like new!"

Went and looked at them, all below 4mm (100% worn) and 6 years old.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Update.
Looked at them. They had a lot more wear than 1000/1 month. The seller was kind of shady. Not giving the address, lying about mileage. One tire had obviously more wear in the middle than others.
They have been on CL for a month, not selling at 400, but the seller goes I have several people interested - yeah right.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Just keep lookin'.

The only time i would buy used tires is if i was selling the car. Why risk it? A lot of times damage from abuse like chronic underinflation or manufacturing defects are not apparent on visual inspection.

Last edited:
Chronic underinflation would show up as wear on the tire.

I'll buy a set if they look good, are cheap and are name brand. Sometimes people buy a car and sell perfectly good tires because they have zero use for a tire they can't use. It's a risk but as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained. At two sets in the last two years, seems to have worked out.

And of course, I just had a 4 year set of Michelins go belly-up. Bought brand new, dry rotted, still waiting on Michelin after a month to hold up their side of the warranty.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: pacem
Off Craigslist: Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2 Tire 265/70R17 (115R)

Looking at 4 used tires, the owner says they have 1000 miles on them and used for 2 months only, came off some Toyota.

$400 for 4 tires is the asking price. Have not seen the tread in person but in the pics does not seem bad. I cannot estimate the depth. Is 400 reasonable for these 4 tires? They are not an expensive tire, a Walmart tire that goes 600 for the set of 4.

What would be a good offer to make? He has them for sale for weeks with no bites.

Of course its CL, maybe they have 5000 miles on them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bridgestone-BLIZZAK-DM-V2-Tire-265-70R17-115R/48568165#about-item

Just me I guess but tires are one of the things on my more critical list of car items. I would likely not buy used tires or brakes to put on my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back