info on klotz for Harleys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Redline in a 2012 103" Twincam but Klotz is easier to get locally. Any info on Klotz's 20w50 Harley oil vs Redline?

If it carries what Harley specs for your bike I'd use it.I've used all the "big name" oils in the last 10 years and truthfully I didn't notice any advantage over regular oil. I run Valvoline 20/50 mc oil. Just yesterday I checked the oil temp after 2 hours of slow speed riding around town, with some idling thrown in. Now, my bike is a '99 w /fi the oil temp was 218f, with 2 different thermometers.It was 92f and humid. Gets changed at 4500-5000 miles. Works for me, and if Klotz was available here, and priced close in price, I'd try it.,,,

Some of the best UOA's I have seen on here for big twin Harleys comes from the Valvoline VR1 and VR1 synthetic passenger car/street performance oil. Excellent wear numbers. I think that a non shared sump system like yours you can get away without running uber high end oils and still get excellent protection.

As for the Klotz I have not seen much but it meets the specs. You could of course be the brave soul that runs it and does a UOA.

The VR-1 Conventional has a higher flash point than the VR-1 Synthetic. (just saying)

It's what I use.
Available at most auto parts stores, and reasonably-priced.

VR-1 looks like good oil but I don't like switching horses midstream. If I change from Redline, I'd prefer to try another synthetic with a good rep. RL & Klotz are both group V ester base oils. Just some background on my situation, I got a 2012 softail I ride hard, often 2-up, but I change oil religiously at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: olskoolblu
VR-1 looks like good oil but I don't like switching horses midstream. If I change from Redline, I'd prefer to try another synthetic with a good rep. RL & Klotz are both group V ester base oils. Just some background on my situation, I got a 2012 softail I ride hard, often 2-up, but I change oil religiously at 5000 miles.

I know how you feel. Going from synthetic to conventional can feel like a real downgrade, but the UOA is the ultimate test and the VR1 shows stellar results.

I've used the Klotz V-TWIN 20w-50 in the past.It does smell good! Used to use the two stroke techniplate in dirt bikes many years ago.It definitely is good oil but the price sure has gone up!

Well thank you all for the replies. Being as I still have an unopened bottle of Redline, I think I'll order a couple more for this next oil change. That way I'll have two Redline UOAs two compare with the Klotz. I want to see how it compares to RL. I'll post the UOAs when I get them so we'll all know.

Well thank you all for the replies. Being as I still have an unopened bottle of Redline, I think I'll order a couple more for this next oil change. That way I'll have two Redline UOAs two compare with the Klotz. I want to see how it compares to RL. I'll post the UOAs when I get them so we'll all know.
Here's my two cents. I have a 2006 Fatboy with an 88 twin cam. I use Schaeffers 707 in the engine, the primary gets Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil, and the transmission gets Spectro Platinum Heavy Duty 6 Speed 75W140. I do not do uoa's. I am not interested in looking further for other products. Anything that I've ever put Schaeffer's in, just plain ran smoother period! The Spectro products provide smooth clutch engagement, and smooth shifting with "easy neutral find" without going up n down, up n down. Good luck in your search.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Here's my two cents. I have a 2006 Fatboy with an 88 twin cam. I use Schaeffers 707 in the engine, the primary gets Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil, and the transmission gets Spectro Platinum Heavy Duty 6 Speed 75W140. I do not do uoa's. I am not interested in looking further for other products. Anything that I've ever put Schaeffer's in, just plain ran smoother period! The Spectro products provide smooth clutch engagement, and smooth shifting with "easy neutral find" without going up n down, up n down. Good luck in your search.

I've heard of Schaeffer's, know a few running it, but interested in Klotz because it's available locally. I'd rather not have to mail order oil every time I change it.

I ran Klotz 25w60 during last summers heat in my CVO110 I was happy with it.
Seemed to have held up well. Ran it for 5000 miles two up riding while the temps were in the 90- 100 range. I did have to order it.I wanted a heavier oil for the extreme heat I knew we going to be riding in.
I am now back to using Brad Penn Oil 20w50 not the motorcycle oil but the auto racing oil. It has a better add pack IMO> Still have 4 quarts of Klotz 25w60 on the shelf to use if we take another trip into the extreme heat. I did not do any analysis on the oil.
I also have Mobil 1 MC 20w50 and some Black bottle VR1 20w50 syn, on the shelf to try. With three bike to maintain they will all get there turn in one of them. Well not the t-dub that only gets Rotella 15w40

Last edited:
Well I picked up some more Redline and I didn't have to order it through the mail. I rode about 300 miles for it but it was a great ride. If any of y'all are from SW Michigan, Lane Automotive in Watervliet has all the high end oil and hot rod goodies a man could ever want. Nice place.

i find mail order no biggie, i get amsoil in a few days as the warehouse in lancaster pa is only about 75 miles, although retired with time making the trip costs more than shipping unless you are getting a BIG order, if you are going to be in the area pickup is easy but must be prearranged.

old i know, people asking about klotz + their web shows little. i switched to redline mostly since amsoil downgraded to mostly group III base oils. i generally mail order its easy to shop for + get better prices + e-bay is a favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back