Oil Filters in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am a bit confused by what is good and what is bad, always told Wix is good, seems that is still true for the most part. I thought Purolator were good, but now I'm hearing issues about those in regards to tearing. The most confusing part comes from the Fram Ultra is good, I thought the whole Fram line was complete garbage? Please set my knowledge straight as it might be a few years old or older.

Need good filtration for a 1987 Honda Crx Si with almost 200 miles, currently using Pennzoil High Mileage 10w40.

Purolator used to be a good company but there are lots of examples here of media tearing. Not what you want. Fram is decent. Wix, Mann, and a few others are also good choices

You will get lots of answers for your Honda.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
Is the tough gard any good, the ultra isn't available for my application.Fram TG3531 is the best I can get from them.

(1) Fram Ultra
(2) Wix/NAPA Gold
(3) Mobil 1
(4) Fram TG

Fram TG is good, but I'd go with NAPA/Wix Gold instead if I could not get a Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Purolator used to be a good company but there are lots of examples here of media tearing. Not what you want. Fram is decent. Wix, Mann, and a few others are also good choices

You will get lots of answers for your Honda.
Purolater has been poor quality for years and years.

Probably so. It's been over twenty years since I've used one. Time flies by quicker than I think at this age. I've been using OEM filters for the more recent uses on my Mitsu's and Toyotas. Never a problem even though some will say they are junk.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
200 miles on a 30 year old car??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Probably 200K miles.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: oilmutt
200 miles on a 30 year old car??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Probably 200K miles.

Yes, 200k miles, thought I had typed that in earlier.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Is the tough gard any good, the ultra isn't available for my application.Fram TG3531 is the best I can get from them.

(1) Fram Ultra
(2) Wix/NAPA Gold
(3) Mobil 1
(4) Fram TG

Fram TG is good, but I'd go with NAPA/Wix Gold instead if I could not get a Fram Ultra.

What makes Wix/Napa Gold better than M1?

I wonder how good the filtration media on the tough guard is compared to Wix.

TG is 99% @ 20 microns

WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% @ 20 microns

Both are good filters.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda

(1) Fram Ultra
(2) Wix/NAPA Gold
(3) Mobil 1
(4) Fram TG

What makes Wix/Napa Gold better than M1?

Price for equal quality.

Don't recall anyone slamming the 'whole' Fram filter line.
The orange economy level filter was what was called the OCOD.
Orange Can of Death. In part due to low quality build.
Tearing and even a case or two of falling or blowing off the threads.
Some couldn't get past the fiber end caps (not cardboard).
The quality of those OCOD filters had been improved enough to
get a pass here.
The Fram better filters are some of the better choices for filters.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back