Raising Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 2010 ford explorer xlt 4wd and was wondering if anyone has done something like this to raise up their vehicle. I have 2 pair of Rhino Ramps and was thinking of using them, one under each wheel and drive up, or back onto, each one.

It would be really be nice to have the extra room underneath and could actually use a creeper instead of sliding around on an old rug to check fluid, change oil, etc. Is this something that maybe feasible or ,maybe not worth trying? I don't have a garage just apt. parking lot. It very level.

Yeah you could do that. I'd drive up on them. Easier than jacking it up and less obvious in an apartment setting!

that's what i was thinking got a floor jack with a pair of jack stands but it is a real pain jacking it up one side at time. We have these high curbs that run along the parking lot parking stalls could put one pair up against the curb, help keep from sliding, then place the other pair in front of the other wheels. Yep this is much better
grin.gif

Ramps are great for raising a vehicle, nice and level for certain tasks. I put my Jeep in 4L and put one ramp at each of the 4 wheels. I pop it in D, take my foot off the brake and up it goes with ease. It makes transmission, or transfer case service very easy since the vehicle is high enough off the ground, and level.

I think you'd be better off driving the front axle on a set of ramps then jacking on the center diff and putting the rear outer frame on stands. I'd be worried about getting one axle an inch or two "off center" putting all four corners up on ramps, with the resultant instability.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think you'd be better off driving the front axle on a set of ramps then jacking on the center diff and putting the rear outer frame on stands. I'd be worried about getting one axle an inch or two "off center" putting all four corners up on ramps, with the resultant instability.

good point I will need to watch this if it a problem may need to try a different approach.

thanks,

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I see what you're saying. I've done it a few times now w/o any problems. I make sure all 4 wheels are cradled on the ramps rock the Jeep to be sure, and slide jack stands under it to play it even safer. Honestly it feels very stable on the 4 ramps. But I would caution people to check everything over before going under. You can never be too cautious about going under a vehicle.

I put my 2012 4WD Ram up on 4 Rhino Ramps when I mess with the transmission, differentials, or transfer case.

I use only 2 Rhino Ramps on the front wheels for oil & filter change.

YMMV

I use blocks and dunnage. I shored up ships as they were built. There are a few basic methods that translate well to a smaller scale. The main thing about cement blocks is to use them holes up , on wood to spread the weight. On a gravel or asphalt surface, plywood is used to keep the ramps from digging in. However you have a car up, make sure it is stable before getting under it.

Whenever and wherever you use ramps, ESPECIALLY Rhino ramps, always make sure they're on FLAT, SMOOTH ground. If it is uneven, they can flex and twist- or in the case of a Rhino ramp, crack.

One of the main reasons for my wood, glue, & 3" screw versions - sometimes I'm on concrete, sometimes on gravel.
I also find the 1-1/2" staggering easy on the vehicle - whether going up two or four of them.
The wood grips the underside well - and you can make the first stagger longer so the tire pins the ramp early on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back