Rental SUV questions / suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to need an SUV (No Minivans) for a trip from Fayetteville, NC to Lexington, KY. We will make a stop in Knoxville, TN for 2 days, so we need the SUV for a total of about 3-4 days max.

We plan to drop off the luggage in Lex, KY and get the rental vehicle changed to a normal mid-size sedan and then do the return trip in that.

SUV requirements:
Has to have a 3rd row which folds down, so we have space for luggage and 4 adults. (I just don;t think the luggage space in a mid-size with 2 rows of seats is gonna cut it)

From my research ALL full size SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon/Durango) have this and a FEW mid-size/standard SUVs (Traverse / Explorer/ Highlander) also have a 3rd row which folds down.
But then not all those SUVs can be rented.

(I am aware MPG is not gonna be strong in any of these SUVs but if there are ones that stand out and can be rented, willing to to try to get that specific model...)

Oh, and creature comforts are not a priority, and 2WD if good enough.

Any tips on which SUV to rent in each class (Standard with 3rd row and Full size), and from which company?

I just want to make sure that we get the vehicle CLASS we order (SUV with a 3rd row seat). I don't want to go to pickup the vehicle and discover it's not an SUV but a compact sedan or a mini-van etc etc (this has happened a friend of ours).
Any tips on how to make sure that we get the type of vehicle that we order?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Kia Sorrentos are a tier lower than the full size suvs like the Tahoes. But it does have 3 rows and is a common rental which should work nicely for you. I'd get one of those.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Kia Sorrentos are a tier lower than the full size suvs like the Tahoes. But it does have 3 rows and is a common rental which should work nicely for you. I'd get one of those.

Ah! didn't know that it had a 3rd row! Thanks! Wonder what companies rent them...?

Hertz is who my brother uses since he travels a lot. They're not perfect but he likes them the best. If you go on their used car sales site you can see what they're using in your area. I used Charlotte and came up with this list:

Hertz

Looks like Pathfinders, Explorers, etc

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hertz is who my brother uses since he travels a lot. They're not perfect but he likes them the best.

IME, they are the best by a decent margin. There is a cost associated with that, BUT - there's a nice bonus if someone is over 50 in your party. They offer a "silver" (or something like that) rate. It brings the prices down to about equal to the lowest you can find. Very good deal.

Hertz over 50

Ford Expedition - Enterprise.

it has 3 rows.

But I would call your locale and be VERY Adamant on the phone about your particular choice.

Pretty much: "If you don't have XXX, I will have YYY amount of luggage right in your parking lot...."

Have you priced a 1 week rental of the SUV for a week, and bring that same vehicle back? One week rentals often get a discount over daily rentals, and one-way rentals pay a premium.

+1 to this. I was on a two week trip, rented for 2.5 days and a full week. The upgraded car for the full week was cheaper than the few days. Pick up and drop off in different locations also incurs a surcharge. Call around to the originating location shops and see what you can work out after you do an initial online pricing.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
Have you priced a 1 week rental of the SUV for a week, and bring that same vehicle back? One week rentals often get a discount over daily rentals, and one-way rentals pay a premium.

The Durango has an annoying stop/start feature, but is otherwise a decent vehicle. We had one as a rental for a week in Florida. You can turn it off, but it has to be disabled every time you start the vehicle manually. We had room for 4 adults and lots of luggage, FWIW. I also greatly prefer Enterprise, as they usually upgrade you at no extra charge. I also get cheaper rates through my employer. I rented a vehicle from Hertz recently and it was drastically more expensive, the vehicle was in poorer condition and they overcharged me by 20% even after I told them twice that I am supposed to get a discount with my AAA card. I had Enterprise accidentally charge me for a GPS fee even though I never asked for or received a GPS to use, but they quickly refunded me without any hassle when I called to tell them about it.

Just use carrentals.com and have pickup on airport and non airport locations, to check price.

Its usually cheaper to pickup non airport and drop off at airport.

Too bad an SUV like the Nissan Rogue is out of your spec list. You'd get a nice and comfy 30mpg or better from it.

Originally Posted By: Carbon

What Carbon says is correct. Two short term rentals with 2 drop off charges would be very expensive.

I have hardly ever gotten the vehicle I planned to rent. At best, there has been something in the same price category, and often not even that.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nissan Pathfinder is very roomy, has a folding 3rd row and good fuel economy.

Agreed. We rented one for ski gear (fit inside in bags) and associated luggage/boots/etc for 4 guys and it worked well in Utah ski trip.

Recently when my brother and his wife had there car totaled while on a trip, they had to take pot luck when they went to a vehicle rental company. You might not get to pick the vehicle you want if one of them is not available.

I recently did fairly well renting an SUV for an upcoming trip through hotwire. I wanted to rent an expedition because I'm thinking of buying as they change models for 18. Going rates ran about 125 a day. Hotwire deal two months in advance priced $69 a day through Hertz but I had to pick up at the the airport.
The day arrived, I arrived at the airport. The counter lady tried to offer me an upgrade to a suburban for an additional $xxx. I inquired what vehicle was supposed to get, she responded an Armada. I declined the upgrade and she worked her keyboard. A few minutes later she called me over to sign the paperwork, handed me keys (which I didn't look at) a told me I was in parking spot xxx.
All the full size SUVS were parked together, all GM. Tahoe, suburban and a lone white yukon xl in the spot she quoted me. I checked my keys, GMC.
Don't see how a suburban was an upgrade but the SLT package was beautiful. My wife loved it and didn't want to give it back.
Total was less than $550 with taxes and inflated airport fees, picking up Monday and returning friday

If I was renting an SUV for a one time trip, I would get the most comfortable for all, which I have to believe is the Chevy or GMC suburban. They are an absolutely perfect vehicle for a long trip with a bunch of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back