Getting rid of a old tube tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it to a recycling center. Nobody wants the bulky CRT TVs anymore. There's a guy down the street from me who had a 32" Sony on the curb with a "FREE" sign on it. The TV sat there on the curb for over 2 months. It's not there anymore; I assume the guy gave up and brought it to the dump or a recycling center.

Originally Posted By: W3DRK
It's a shame I'm way up in PA, that would make a fantastic Commodore 64 monitor!

I still have an old Vic20 somewhere with a few games and cassette tape drive
laugh.gif

I had a very similar Sony cathode ray tube TV. It worked perfectly for about 15 years - excellent picture and very good sound. The only drawback is that it was very large and very heavy.

Given its size I resolved to run it until it dropped, but to never fix it. It eventually started to turn itself off, initially after an hour or so, and then every 15 or 20 minutes.

So I put it on the Used Victoria site for free. I got the first call within 20 minutes and it was gone within an hour. If someone was able to fix it, I expect it would give good service for another decade.

Around here most townships charge to recycle them...its like $30 for a tv 32" or bigger. I see them on the side of the road quite often where people just dump them because they don't want to pay. People who don't know they need to be recycled will put them at the curb for the garbage man to take but they just leave a note on them saying it needs to be recycled.

The local scrap yard by me will pay a dollar or three for those hulks if you bring it to them. Not sure at all of what use they could possibly have.

Many municipalities have a free electronics recycling service. Call up whomever takes care of that in your city/town/county.

Due to high levels of lead and mercury, by law you would need to take it to a recycling center and pay $30 or so.

Give it away. One of the neighborhood kids hauled mine off. It never came back so his parents must not of objected. No else wants them.

I have an old TV I need to get rid of too. The sucker is a heavy 55" projector TV so getting it out of the basement will be fun.

Retro gamers are always looking for tube tv's to play older console games on. They don't work on lots of LCD/LED tv's and when they do they scale weird and don't look right. Only way to get an authentic retro experience is on a retro tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back