Bar and Chain Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chainsawing today with a 80v Greenworks saw.
Used their oil and it looks like ATF?
Anybody know what they use? Can't get it local but just wondering if it was ATF.
I have a bunch of ST. Bar and chain oil here.

I've been using used motor oil for bar/chain lube since 1988.

It all works... but used diesel oil sticks on the chain better (but is far, FAR messier)

Yeah some makers insist on vegetable based or Canola etc oils.
Greenworks doesn't stipulate either.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I use diff oil + add some coconut oil. The coconut oil is actually solid till about 85°F

I know guys that run atf, used oil and dont report any issues. One guy used to be in the logging industry as well.\

I use bar and chain oil, its red and has the tackifiers in it. I think I pay around 3$ a liter for it, tax in. For use in really the really cold winter (not often) I will add some fresh motor oil to the winter blend chain oil.

Wal-mart's SuperTech SAE 30 Bar & Chain oil works well and is cheap. It flows well without being too drippy and messy. I prefer the thinner, lighter bar and chain oils because the float away the shavings faster which helps keep the saw cooler and cleaner, at the cost of going the oil a little faster.

Was cutting for someone and ran out of Bar & Chain oil before all the cutting was done. He had a can of STP Oil Treatment in his garage. I'd pour it on the chain/bar and it got the job done. Just didn't like pouring a lot on it. Blip rev the throttle and ended up with STP on me. But it worked in a pinch.

Apparently with the veggy oil based bar oil you cant leave it in the tank too long or it will begin to thicken and gum up the pickup screen and pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back