0w20 OR 5W30: nissan maxima 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi , I have a Nissan maxima 2017- 3.5L engine. [About 6000 km on odo]

The manual recommends SAE-0W20,

I live in a Middle East Saudi Arabia - VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES!
Sometimes peaks upto 40 deg C (104 deg F) in July. Never cold here, the minimum morning temperatures are like 20 deg C (68 def F)

Driving style here is City 60%: Speed is between 40-60 KM ~ highway 40:% Speed is between 90-110KM

On an additional note - it takes me about 3-4 months to do 5000km,

I was specifically looking out for
-Which oil is good for ME (0W20 OR 5W30)

Options are available 5W30 :

1- shell helix 5w30 :
Shell-ultra-5W-30.jpg

1498221005391.jpg

2- PETROMIN A1 5W30 :

37-123.jpg

1498221006072.jpg

3- FUCHS TITAN SUPER SYN 5W30 :

hvddCbl.jpg

1498221006973.jpg

4- MOBIL 1 5W30 :

5w30%20photo%201.jpg

149822100824.jpg

5- motorcraft 5w30

index.php

1498221009795.jpg

Options are available 0W20 :

acdelco 0W20

If it was my car I would run a 5w30 synthetic. Your owners manual says this is ok so no worry about warranty issues.
I use which ever oil is the cheapest that meets SN spec.

I would definitely run a 5w/30 or even 10w/30 and you are allowed to by Nissan. My first choice would be whatever synthetic you can get easy and at a good price. I would prefer Mobil 1 followed by the Shell Helix.

I just switched to 5w30 in Mazda that Calls for 0w20. It gets pretty hot here in South Texas. I mostly changed to keep one grade in my garage at all times but my car didn't notice a difference.

Your climate sounds similar to mine, and if that was my car I would run a full synthetic 5W30. All the oils you listed look good, but if it was me and the price was much the same, my pick would be either the Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 or the Mobil 1 5W30.

Enjoy your car.

The 0W-20 grade in your climate makes about as much sense as the 20W-50 grade does in Siberia.
Any 10W-30 syn would be a good pick for you.

SA=South Africa? I was thinking San Antonio,Tx at first until I saw the pictures of your oil choices and the oil chart in your owners manual. I wonder if the North American manual only lists 0W20 as an option,like my Accord's manual? Running around here in the south Texas heat,Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 runs smooth as silk in my Accord. But,it is a 4 cyl,and I know from experience (gf's Probe) that a thick oil will bog down a 4 cyl engine.

Shell Helix 5w30 you pictured is an SL oil, not SN as Nissan requires usually. Also, is A3/B4, which means it has an HTHS of about 3.5, way more than the minimum HTHS 2.6 a 0w20 could give you. That said, I say pick any dexos1 oil, full synthetic, since its HTHS is a more suitable 3.0 for that engine in a hot climate. The dexos1 standard is more than enough for Nissan's warranty requirements.

Any more HTHS than 3.0 is a waste, not needed at all. So dexos1 5w30, any full synthetic with that, is the one to get.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
SA=South Africa? I was thinking San Antonio,Tx at first until I saw the pictures of your oil choices and the oil chart in your owners manual.

Quote:
I live in a Middle East Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted By: SR5
SA=South Africa? I was thinking San Antonio,Tx at first until I saw the pictures of your oil choices and the oil chart in your owners manual.

Quote:

Haha duh! It'd help if I read the whole post huh :p
laugh.gif

Quote:

Haha duh! It'd help if I read the whole post huh :p
laugh.gif

Don't worry mate, my first guess was South Australia.

Don't worry mate, my first guess was South Australia.

Haha that was my third guess after San Antonio and South Africa
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back