Mixing Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Magnatec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to change the oil yesterday in my sister's 2016 Hyundai Accent. It's a 1.6L naturally asperated GDI engine, with a 3.7 quart sump. When I changed it last winter, I filled it from a 5 qt. jug of PP 5w-20 and put a fram Ultra on it. 7500 miles later, I had about 1.5 quarts of PP left from the first oil change and some bottles of Magnatec 5w-20 in the garage.

Long story short, it's got about half PP and half Magnatec, both 5w-20. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts. Are these two oils incompatible? Could there be issues with long-term performance (7,500 miles/6 months) with a mix from two different brands?

36.gif

Many say mix away, many give dire warnings that there could be problems.

No you will not have an exact known quality of oil, but you are mixing 2 good oils. No different that the millions upon millions of vehicles that have whatever oil added as top off oil during an oil change.

I am of the mix away camp, and have mixed different brand (and weights) of oils with no issues (which proves nothing). If the need arises, I will continue to do so. I know that I have a few qts of misc oil that will eventually be mixed for an oil change in my truck.
These include 2 qts PU 5w-20, 1 qt M1 EP 0w-20, 2 qt Auto Zone Syn 0w-20, 1 qt Havoline HM 5w-20.

Ever since SL, oil companies have been required by the government to make it so all their additives are compatible with all other oil additives. Used to be a bad idea to do this back in the day, but things are different now so don't worry about it.

I don't think anything bad is gonna happen. One thing I have been told by Mobil 1 is that if you mix different oils, you reduce both oils' benefits, but that does not make them any worse.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Ever since SL, oil companies have been required by the government to make it so all their additives are compatible with all other oil additives. Used to be a bad idea to do this back in the day, but things are different now so don't worry about it.

Really ? show me where that's a fact ...

When possible do not mix. The oil isn't going to turn into tar or anything but you're guessing at additive packages and don't really know what you end up with. It's likely that the mix would be less effective than either oil by itself depending on the additives in the two oils.

The folks who mix are trying to build a better mousetrap. It's not needed.

If you're going to mix oil brands/grades, those 2 are fairly close in additive packages. High calcium, no magnesium, no sodium oils.

I would not worry about it, for 6 months in a Hyundai with two name brand synthetics. I worry more about people who don't check the oil level and let it get too low.

Once knew someone who mixed like 4 different HM oils. I think it was a quart each for about a 4 quart sump. He had some weird name of his mix. Your Pentrol Plattec should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Once knew someone who mixed like 4 different HM oils. I think it was a quart each for about a 4 quart sump. He had some weird name of his mix. Your Pentrol Plattec should be fine.

I had 3 different oils in my crankcase on my last oil change. I started with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, but topped off with Havoline High Mileage and 2 quarts of Formula Shell along the way (all in 5W-20). Still ran just fine. In fact, for some reason it seemed to consume less after it became more of a hodgepodge of oils.
grin.gif

That is your answer, including atf etc.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Errtt

I had 3 different oils in my crankcase on my last oil change. I started with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, but topped off with Havoline High Mileage and 2 quarts of Formula Shell along the way (all in 5W-20). Still ran just fine. In fact, for some reason it seemed to consume less after it became more of a hodgepodge of oils.
grin.gif

Had a similar experience when topping off. Consumption seemed to get worse and worse in a neon I used to maintain, until I used 10w40 vwb after running out of 5w30 chevron that was used for oc/top offs. Stopped the consumption cold.

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
I went to change the oil yesterday in my sister's 2016 Hyundai Accent. It's a 1.6L naturally asperated GDI engine, with a 3.7 quart sump. When I changed it last winter, I filled it from a 5 qt. jug of PP 5w-20 and put a fram Ultra on it. 7500 miles later, I had about 1.5 quarts of PP left from the first oil change and some bottles of Magnatec 5w-20 in the garage.

Long story short, it's got about half PP and half Magnatec, both 5w-20. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts. Are these two oils incompatible? Could there be issues with long-term performance (7,500 miles/6 months) with a mix from two different brands?
I don't get it. Wasn't Hyundai having quite a few problems with fuel dilution. I've read about the recent recalls on their engines. I know it's small at 1.6L but a 3.7 L sump is an insult to your intelligence and the engine. Few years ago I had a Yamaha warrior motorcycle with roughly the same size engine, held 5 quarts of oil.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Of course, and when your tranny dies due to wrong fluid, you can just leave the broken one under your pillow and the tranny fairy will bring you another reman unit just like that.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst

I don't get it. Wasn't Hyundai having quite a few problems with fuel dilution. I've read about the recent recalls on their engines. I know it's small at 1.6L but a 3.7 L sump is an insult to your intelligence and the engine. Few years ago I had a Yamaha warrior motorcycle with roughly the same size engine, held 5 quarts of oil.

Almost all GDi (direct injection) applications dilute. That has been confirmed here with UOA of multiple makes, models and years. Very few if any of these UOA showing high metal counts or other causes for concern. The Hyundai application that had serious issues with dilution and LSPI was the 1.6 Turbo found in the initial year Veloster Turbo. I'm not aware of this happening with the NA 1.6.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Of course, and when your tranny dies due to wrong fluid, you can just leave the broken one under your pillow and the tranny fairy will bring you another reman unit just like that.

Speaking of fluids using different means to achieve the same spec. Points for trying to be cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back