Ford Focus Made In China??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with them making the focus in china.. for asia markets.

However, The smart companies should know: make in the USA to sell in the USA.. or at least a first world democratic country.

Honda, Toyota, and Subaru all figured this out among others.

China charges 300% tax to import a car. If Ford wants to sell small cars in China, isn't practical not to have a factory there.

Originally Posted By: mk378
China charges 300% tax to import a car. If Ford wants to sell small cars in China, isn't practical not to have a factory there.

It is practical for models sold there and in the region. They were saying they might build Foci for the US market there also.

If they can sell the Chinese FORD fOCUS in the US at the same price they sell them in China, I say okay. If not, keep them in Asia.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
I wonder if they can get the Dual clutch transmission right?

Who should they copy it from?
wink.gif

It's one thing to offshore production to a place where costs are cheaper. But, knowing what we know now and still offshoring to a country that is a strategic competitor to the US and is doing all it can to drive a wedge between us and our friends is Asia is something else. Labor is even cheaper in Iran - maybe that's Ford's next stop. Why not?

Maybe we should charge a 300% tax to import a car from china to here...

oh wait then we would just import it 99% completed and finish it here... or some other tax evading nonsense.

Its not possible to fairly compete with Communist countries that have large government subsidized corporations and can just dump product to drive out competition... OTOH they have massive import taxes... no one hears about.. but we tax some chinese tire dumper and its major news.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Maybe we should charge a 300% tax to import a car from china to here...

That is usually what happens when a country imposes a "protective tariff." The other side does something to match it.
I don't know though what the US tariff would be to import a whole car made in China. That is something that has not yet happened. Ford isn't worried about it though. US consumers don't buy small cars while gas prices are low, and they have other factories to make them if they did.

Last edited:
thats why we should match their tax on all products across the board. Then 200% added landfill usage tax cause we all know where that stuff ends up.

Last edited:
1) The Chinese are known for copying everything that they are contracted to build. Pretty soon, Geely will be coming out with a new compact car called the Lord Crocus.

2) Does this mean that Ford will have to source even more parts from China to save on shipping costs? That didn't work out well on those Mustang transmissions...

3) I'm not buying a Bronco made at Wayne Assembly if they free up capacity by moving the Focus to China, and I was planning on buying one
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not build the Focus in the USA ?

Because the market for small cars in the U.S. is almost non-existent. You can read over on blueovalnews.com about how they want to free up plant capacity for products that sell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
1) The Chinese are known for copying everything that they are contracted to build. Pretty soon, Geely will be coming out with a new compact car called the Lord Crocus.

2) Does this mean that Ford will have to source even more parts from China to save on shipping costs? That didn't work out well on those Mustang transmissions...

3) I'm not buying a Bronco made at Wayne Assembly if they free up capacity by moving the Focus to China, and I was planning on buying one
21.gif

You will not have to buy a Bronco-regardless of where it's made because I have a feeling they will sell fine without you making a purchase.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not build the Focus in the USA ?

Because the market for small cars in the U.S. is almost non-existent. You can read over on blueovalnews.com about how they want to free up plant capacity for products that sell.

I guess they only make the Focus due to EPA CAFE mandate requirements then. Makes sense. If it's a govt mandated thing and ford don't care.... may as well have it made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back