0W-20 or 5W-20 for 06 Sentra in NYC winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

It dawned on me pretty late that I should take care of my cars by myself than depending on the mechanics.

In the past, the mechanic used to use some in-house oil, never told me the brand or if it was synthetic. I used to pay $40 for 3qt of the oil change. The oil change suggested was once a year as I drive less than 4000miles a year, 90% short trips in stop and go traffic. The vehicle has 103,000 on the odometer (acquired in 2010 with 77,000 on the odometer). We were considering trading in this one for another car but now have decided to take it to the ground.

I changed the oil for the first time 2 months ago with SuperTech 5W-30 high mileage synthetic blend oil. Since I don't know if the mechanic used synthetic or conventional and wanted to avoid the much-reported leaking issue, I didn't go for synthetic high mileage but high mileage blend. So far so good.

Since acquiring the car, we noticed the car is very sluggish in winter, very slow acceleration, struggles a lot to go up the hill. I barely get 22.6mpg (Fuelly shows the average of 28mpg). The mechanic never thought these things as an issue as its not a sports car. I was dumb enough to accept this reasoning. But now that I am reading more and more of BITOG, I am ready to play around with various fluids. I thought of changing the viscosity of the oil for winter.

Nissan recommends using 5W-30 in QG18DE engine. I am toying between 0W-20 and 5W-20 high mileage synthetic blend oil for winter. Which viscosity is a better choice?

Thanks in advance.

5W-20 would be fine for southern NY winter.
As for the lack of power, a common cause is a blocked catalytic convertor. The internal honeycomb structure fails and results in a blockage.
A problem that should be addressed asap.

Hmmm, I would stay with 5W30 as it is recommended in your owner's manual(OM). Although I don't think that a 0W20 or 5W20 would hurt in the winter time. You may want to use a blend or full syn however it is not necessary. For example, I use mostly 5W30 in the '06 Mazda3 in my signature and this car/engine call for 5W20 and states nothing else in the OM or on the oil fill cap under the hood.

You may want to look for another reason that your engine is sluggish in the winter time. Winter fuel economy will certainly drop on all vehicles due to the (((COLD))) temps, excessive idling and stop & go traffic. 22-23 MPG doesn't sound too bad to me for the winter & city driving!

Other will chime in with some good info as well.

Last edited:
It only matters it you are dealing with -20F weather. You are fine with cold starts in southern ny no matter what you use.

+2 on the cat. You won't feel oil slowing you down on hills.

NYC is a heat island and won't dip below -5'F at street level because of the human activity.

I have the same car. It just turned 178K miles.
I average 35 MPG in mostly highway driving.
My car is rather quick for a little 4 banger.
It would be even quicker at sea level rather then at a mile high.
It has Bosch 4 prong platinum plugs and a K&N air filter.
I use 5-30 full synthetic of what ever is on roll back at Wallyworld.
Here in Colorado the temps will swing from -20 to +105 degrees.
Something is wrong with yours if the gas mileage is that low and its sluggish.
A blocked cat could be the reason.
Take it to a competent shop. Avoid the Stealership.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
You could try Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE.

***THIS***

With the small 2.9qt oil sump in that Sentra I would never go for more than 3000-3500 miles between oil changes. Even with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
You could try Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE.

***THIS***

With the small 2.9qt oil sump in that Sentra I would never go for more than 3000-3500 miles between oil changes. Even with synthetic.

I've been going 7K to 8K on full synthetic oil for a 100K miles in my 2006 Sentra 1.8.

Last edited:
I live less than 30 minutes from NYC via train. 0w20 or 5w20 will be fine, even if we get record breaking cold temps. I'd follow the OM for recommend drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Hmmm, I would stay with 5W30 as it is recommended in your owner's manual(OM). Although I don't think that a 0W20 or 5W20 would hurt in the winter time. You may want to use a blend or full syn however it is not necessary. For example, I use mostly 5W30 in the '06 Mazda3 in my signature and this car/engine call for 5W20 and states nothing else in the OM or on the oil fill cap under the hood.

You may want to look for another reason that your engine is sluggish in the winter time. Winter fuel economy will certainly drop on all vehicles due to the (((COLD))) temps, excessive idling and stop & go traffic. 22-23 MPG doesn't sound too bad to me for the winter & city driving!

Other will chime in with some good info as well.

It ( M1 0W-30 AFE ) wouldn't damage a thing, there is no such thing as an oil that is too thin at startup, yeah it may be on the thinner side of a 30, but whatever dino/synthetic blend they put it in at the quick lube shop probably sheared down to a 20 grade by the time it was changed.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I live less than 30 minutes from NYC via train. 0w20 or 5w20 will be fine, even if we get record breaking cold temps. I'd follow the OM for recommend drain intervals.

Side tracked and too late to edit. I'd also use the viscosity they recommend, as well as the OCI. 0w30 or 5w30 will be fine for the lowest temperatures you'll encounter in NYC. I'd probably use AFE 0w30, I had good results over the years that I used it in two vehicles.

I would stay with a 5w-30 SN and find the real problem with your engine. Oil will at most net you 1 MPG and that's with absolutely ideal conditions.

Change air filter, spark plugs and wires. Replace those with OEM parts. Have a good shop test your O2 sensors and make sure they are in spec. Have the catalytic converter checked. Change the PCV valve to protect the cat, esp if you end up needing a new one.

Put a bottle of techron in the gas and go warm it up and drive the nuts off it. Blow out the cat, blow carbon out of the cylinders get the plugs up to self cleaning temp. You may be surprised at how well an engine responds to a good workout.

Hey if i may ask,
you run 0w20 with any burnof?... because i currently have that engine, and would like to try a thinner oil.
Thankks

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Hey if i may ask,
you run 0w20 with any burnof?... because i currently have that engine, and would like to try a thinner oil.
Thankks

I use 5-30 Synthetic and change 7K to 8K and never have to add any oil in between changes with 178K miles on the motor.
Disclaimer: I bought the car with 97K miles on it.The first oil change I did it had an orange Fram filter and the oil was as black as coal.
I have no idea how the car was maintained, for all I know it could have gotten a new motor. Doubtful.

Thanks a lot.
IF i may ask again, what viscosity oil do the manual recommends?

That is in the very first post.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Hey if i may ask,
Thankks

I use 5-30 Synthetic and change 7K to 8K and never have to add any oil in between changes with 178K miles on the motor.
Disclaimer: I bought the car with 97K miles on it.The first oil change I did it had an orange Fram filter and the oil was as black as coal.
I have no idea how the car was maintained, for all I know it could have gotten a new motor. Doubtful.
Have you ever had a UOA after a 7k-8k run?

Thank you, everyone, for the comments.

I mention NYC because everyone can figure out quickly abt temps and stuff. I am actually 30 min north of NYC, Westchester county to be very specific.

For those with Mobil 1 AFE, my understanding is that its synthetic oil. Wouldn't leaking be an issue in future?
Comparing AFE and high mileage blend, which one would be best for the vehicle with 103,000 miles and oil history is uncertain?
Whichever oil I use, I plan to change it every 6 months or ~3000 miles whichever comes first.

I am changing/plan to change a lot of things that will fall under preventive maintenance. I am using OEM parts for almost everything. I already changed Air filter, spark plugs (NGK), transmission fluid and the coolant. I will get catalytic converter checked. I want to change PCV valve as well but I am getting conflicting info on its location. @marine65, Since you have the car same, may I PM you to get few exact vehicle specific details?

Thanks again folks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: marine65
Hey if i may ask,
Thankks

Have you ever had a UOA after a 7k-8k run?

Funny you should ask.
I have the kit here just waiting to drain the oil in a couple thousand miles to send it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back