55gallons of m1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to a 10 year old 55 gallon drum of m1. 0w? I think its 0w50 , I want to say the drum says HTC or something I will have to look again.
Any concern for additive drop out, other than rolling the drum or flipping it mixing the bottom would prove difficult

Yes you will most likely have additive fall out I've seen it, some how you need to mix that barrel, that's why I don't like getting oil form a large container like that. Check on line I think they make barrel mixers for 55's

Have another look at the labeling on that drum.
HTC is a Schaeffer's product while SHC is a Mobil one.
Neither is suitable nor intended for IC engine use.
There is an M1R 0W-50 that is specifically not recommended for street use, although the PDS doesn't give enough detail to determine why this might be the case. SAPS is 1.3% and the verbiage indicates high levels of anti-wear protection which might be code for lots of ZDDP. HTHS is listed as 3.8, so not frighteningly high.
IIRC, there is an M1 0W-50 PCMO available in other markets but I've never seen it here.
Finally, unless you have a real need for a really thick oil, the only reason to buy this drum would be if it were a steal, like $300.00 or less. You can get M1 in jugs for less than two bucks a quart AMIR at least a couple of times each year and the 55 gal container isn't exactly a convenient package size to handle.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Forget about it. Do yourself a favor and avoid the physical and mental drama this will turn into.

Amen.

It would be free, I will get more info off of it, a friend of mine seems to think it says something about Canada on it, I'll try to get more info ASAP

you could always send in a virgin oil sample to test and see what the additives are like.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
you could always send in a virgin oil sample to test and see what the additives are like.

Not if some of them are stuck to the bottom.

I had a 20 yr old bottle of M1 15w-50 out on the garage. After using most of if it for a flushing oil, I noticed a big pile of chunky, dark deposits on the bottom. Those didn't come no matter how hard or long I shook the bottle. I finally got a 12" long file with a pointy end and started poking at the stuff. It was still very hard to get off. Took about 10 min of playing with it to get most of the chunks broke free....though no idea if they dissolved. If you're trying to do this with a 55 gall drum, good luck.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: mcrn

Not if some of them are stuck to the bottom.

I had a 20 yr old bottle of M1 15w-50 out on the garage. After using most of if it for a flushing oil, I noticed a big pile of chunky, dark deposits on the bottom. Those didn't come no matter how hard or long I shook the bottle. I finally got a 12" long file with a pointy end and started poking at the stuff. It was still very hard to get off. Took about 10 min of playing with it to get most of the chunks broke free....though no idea if they dissolved. If you're trying to do this with a 55 gall drum, good luck.

Ok maybe I did not get my point across correctly......he could get a virgin oil analysis to see what was suspended still in the oil.

Exactly.
55 gallons of free oil is worth a $20.00 VOA to show what's in it and whether it would be suitable for use, not what's stuck to the bottom of the drum.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Those didn't come no matter how hard or long I shook the bottle. Took about 10 min of playing with it to get most of the chunks broke free....though no idea if they dissolved.

Amazing..... I have never experienced anything similar with jug of new oil. No matter how long they sat....

and even then, the amount of the bottom was just a "trace".

I haven't seen this either and I have a stash of more than 300 qts and have maintained one for years, long before I came here.
Sonofjoe has posted that the sludge on the bottom is probably moly which he has written has poor solubility.
It may be that better oils have less problem with additives falling out of suspension, or it may be that low or no moly oils don't show additive fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back