Engine Oil, please need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys,

I`m not very sure is this the correct place where i have to post/ask my question , but i hope it is

I`m the owner of a Honda Civic Type R ( FN2 , year 2010 ) and my question i related to Engine Oil

The problem is that for some reason my engine is eating oil very fast ..so in 1000km it takes up to 500ml so far , before you start to judge please also read below because i made some tests

Test 1 :
So with the oil at normal capacity I have decided to make 1000km without hinting vtec and with a maximum speed of 150km/h , just to see if it`s eating oil , the test was successful, after i have made the 1000km i have notice the oil lvl was 100% unchanged

Test 2 :
Driving more aggressive ..going in vtec , so i decide to make 1000km in the following way , forcing a bit the care let`s say ...without giving any red lines ( max torque was 6500 / 7000 rpm ) with a maximum speed of 210 km/h , switching from higher to inferior gear ( again repeat going above 7000 rpm ..maybe it was 2 or 3 times 7500 ..but not important ) so after i made the 1000km in this was i parked the car in garage and i went to bed , in morning i have checked the oil and i have notice i took 500ml
frown.gif

Other Info :
Oil leek
- No , i`m not leaking oil it was the first thing which i have checked many times ..so this is not the reason
Shifts - Please notice ..i have never missed my gears ..... it is not my first car ...i`m used with sport gear box
Exhaust fumes - I have also recorded for a while ... there is no white smoke or black smoke ..regardless if i drive normal or aggressive ( so more or less this is good ) i have also a video , i hope it`s allowed to post
Code:
https://vimeo.com/219271349

What oils i have used : I made the above test with Motul 300V Power 5W40
What i have used before Motul : Honda 0w20 Type 2.0 What i have used before Honda : Mile 1 0w40 Is the car stock? : yes it is stock ..but in august i will to Stage 1 Upgrade

Please guys land a hand here, i`m started to get frustrated ....and i don`t know what oil to use in my engine .. i have 68k millage
Can someone with more experience please advise me what oil to test ? I plant to change the oil since Motul is also getting eaten up ..

I hope this is the correct threat and also hope i will get some assistance since i don`t know what to do anymore ...

Thank you in advance and i wish you all a good day,
Artix

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ed ,

To be honest this did not even came to my mind ... , i will definitely have to look in to this , do you think this will show up an a tester? if i will go in car service ? Or maybe I should just change the PCV , what is your opinion on this ?
Nevertheless thank you for the fast reply and the suggestion ..at this point i`m desperate to try almost everything , thank you man again

Repeat your tests with a 10w30 . Or stop worrying and check the level before driving. Oil loss is to be expected after hard usage.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think before suspecting oil to correct the problem, I would look at the PCV SYSTEM FIRST. Ed

Small update
smile.gif
i just remembered that i have changed this in May i think , and after 2 weeks i made the test with the current oil Motul
Code:
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-civic-typer-pcv-valve-kit20072011-p-1388.html

I changed only the 17130-RBB-A01-Valve Assy, PCV , because the other i did not had in the kit and also the tube which is also now on the car has no damage ..i actually changes not because of my current problem ...i just changed it because the old pcv was making a strange noise and it was annoying me

You have other suggestions man ?

High RPM = higher oil consumption. That is just the nature of things. Try 10w30 or 10w40, if weather permits. Other than that I was going to suggest to replace the VTEC solenoid, as that does increase consumption in many Honda engines, but if I recall correctly, then it increases the oil consumption full time across all of the RPM range. Since you have no usage at normal driving (LOW RPM, LOWER SPEEDS, LESS AGGRESSIVE DRIVING) then I lean towards the 1st&2nd sentences in this paragraph. High RPM = higher oil consumption. That is just the nature of things.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Repeat your tests with a 10w30 . Or stop worrying and check the level before driving. Oil loss is to be expected after hard usage.

Hi andyd , I always check the oil , and my big concern is not be a problem in the motor itself ...valves or something .... the thing is that i have some friends with the same care..some also have Stage 1 ...and for 1 guy the Honda 0W20 is perfect ..it does not eat it .... and he uses the car heavy ...for another friend he as bad experience with Honda 0W20 ... 1L in 1000+km
smile.gif

For another one the 5W40 Motul like i have ..it`s not good it eats it ... but 5W30 is perfect ...
I was thinking to test with a liqui moly 0w40 ..since a good also today feedback from a friend from another city that he has the same issues like me and for him this liqui moly 0w40 was the solution..somehow i`m still confused ..and that is why i decide to ask the community here ...

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
High RPM = higher oil consumption. That is just the nature of things. Try 10w30 or 10w40, if weather permits. Other than that I was going to suggest to replace the VTEC solenoid, as that does increase consumption in many Honda engines, but if I recall correctly, then it increases the oil consumption full time across all of the RPM range. Since you have no usage at normal driving (LOW RPM, LOWER SPEEDS, LESS AGGRESSIVE DRIVING) then I lean towards the 1st&2nd sentences in this paragraph. High RPM = higher oil consumption. That is just the nature of things.

Hello Vlad , i totally agree with you , but ..just hear me out , other people with the same care friends drive the care more aggressive and shift only at 8000/9000 torque ... yet ...no oil consumption over 1000km ..[censored] ... even the guy with the 0w20 ....he really pushes the car

I`m also aware that higher rpm uses oil
smile.gif
and yes it`s normal..but maybe not so fast..i don`t know ..at this point i`m confused to be honest , also thx for the suggestion with the VTEC solenoid , will consider it
And thx much for the reply and detailed info , i appreciate it

Just to help perspective here, 500 ml loss of oil in 1000 kilometers is roughly 1/2 quart every 620 miles; roughly 4/5 quart per 1000 miles.

i would also be confused if my car was eating half a litre every 1000kms. ESPECIALLY when your running an ester-based 300v, known to have a hths. something is wrong. 300v shouldn't be eaten for lunch the way your type r is eating it!

someone mind explaining how higher rpm eats oil? is this something else than shearing and oxidation? is vlad the russian referring to oil making it past the rings and into the comb chamber and being eaten that way?

Originally Posted By: subzerospeed
i would also be confused if my car was eating half a liter every 1000kms. ESPECIALLY when your running an ester-based 300v, known to have a hths. something is wrong. 300v shouldn't be eaten for lunch the way your type r is eating it!

someone mind explaining how higher rpm eats oil? is this something else than shearing and oxidation? is vlad the russian referring to oil making it past the rings and into the comb chamber and being eaten that way?

I know it`s not normal .... i`ts too much ... and i don`t know 100% from where to start ..it may be possible to be the VTEC solenoid like he suggested but what make me confuse it only eats when i "vtec" to higher RPM ...and to find a food car service to temper with the engine .. ehhmm ...i will go maybe to official dealer and this is not something easy to "diagnose" ...just eliminate the problem 1 by 1 ..that is why i will also give it a go with the liqui moly 0W40 ... or maybe try the Motul 300V Chrono 10W40 , i have this dilemma now ....
ehh .. i really hope to receive some other suggestion ... surly there is someone out here which had more or less a similar situation
This high consumption of oil is eating me from the inside
frown.gif

That is what I'm aiming at. Could be getting past the rings at high RPM.

Question: Did you have that Civic Type R since it was new? If not, then how many of those 68k kilometers were put on by you?
Reason behind this question is that possibly the previous owner might have not ised the right oil that could sustain such abuse, or maybe went a little too long between oil changes. Both scenarios could lead to piston ring problems. That would explain why your Type R is different from your friend's Type R. I would try an engine flush (Liqui Moly flush comes to mind) and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rsolo
i would also be confused if my car was eating half a liter every 1000kms. ESPECIALLY when your running an ester-based 300v, known to have a hths. something is wrong. 300v shouldn't be eaten for lunch the way your type r is eating it!

I know it`s not normal .... i`ts too much ... and i don`t know 100% from where to start ..it may be possible to be the VTEC solenoid like he suggested but what make me confuse it only eats when i "vtec" to higher RPM ...and to find a food car service to temper with the engine .. ehhmm ...i will go maybe to official dealer and this is not something easy to "diagnose" ...just eliminate the problem 1 by 1 ..that is why i will also give it a go with the liqui moly 0W40 ... or maybe try the Motul 300V Chrono 10W40 , i have this dilemma now ....
ehh .. i really hope to receive some other suggestion ... surly there is someone out here which had more or less a similar situation
frown.gif

Vtec is valve timing right? Maybe you've got some weak seals in play here

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Question: Did you have that Civic Type R since it was new? If not, then how many of those 68k kilometers were put on by you?
Reason behind this question is that possibly the previous owner might have not ised the right oil that could sustain such abuse, or maybe went a little too long between oil changes. Both scenarios could lead to piston ring problems. That would explain why your Type R is different from your friend's Type R. I would try an engine flush (Liqui Moly flush comes to mind) and go from there.

Hi Vlad
Thx again for the reply , i`m not the 1st owner i took the car at 41k , and the rest have been made by me
I think ..but not 100% sure my problem started or at least i noticed when i started to us Honda Oil 0W20 , before that the previous owner told he had used Mobil1 0W40 , i know that after i took the car from him i changed the oil and filters and i have also used the 0W40 from Mobile 1 ..but i don`t remember if it was eating as much as now ...i think it was .... and then i used the Honda 0W20 ...and then i notices the high consumption of oil .. and i was thinking it`s because i go with the car in high torque 7000/8000 rpm and 220-230 km/h ...but then ...i also notice that if i drive "casual" 5500/7000 rpm it eats the oil ..
Seeing this i was thinking that the 0W20 maybe it`s not so good for me , and decided to switch to Motul 5W40 , but as i t seems i have the same issue ..and only when i vtec ..and i`m also thinking about ring problems ...your are not the first one from who i hear this ...
I`m only doing this because i have a guy who had the same issue even worst , his car was eating 1L oil in 1000km ..and he tried 3 or 4 types of oil ..and with Liqui Moly 0W40 all of this oil issues stooped ....so i will try this ..if it`s the same issues ..most probably ...it`s the rings ..and that is kinda .. not good let`s say ..the rings are not expensive ..the service is ...

I`m really hopping that is not the rings and maybe someone here had something similar and can share his story
smile.gif

If not in august when i plan the Stage 1 upgrade i will also check this at honda official service ..what else can i do ...

Thx again Vlad

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

frown.gif

yes to both of your questions ...it is very possible

i would also be confused if my car was eating half a litre every 1000kms. ESPECIALLY when your running an ester-based 300v, known to have a hths. something is wrong. 300v shouldn't be eaten for lunch the way your type r is eating it!

My Saab 900 turbo shows a similar pattern. NO discernable oil consumption over a 10.000km interval when driven sensibly. When I really push it (think Berlin-Munich in 4 hours, which means that because of frequent road work sections you have to have the car way above 200km/h on any possible free stretch of Autobahn) the engine starts to use some oil (like 0.5 liter / 1500km). 5500/min and full boost sustained continually means a yellow turbocharger and oil temperatures go through the roof. Either the oil manages to sneak by the rings and get's burned, or it just evaporates (and the crankcase ventilation also might have some influence on this). As the car does not use any oil when I drive "normally", and as most other Saabs whose owners I know exhibit the same behavious, I refuse to acknowlegde a problem.
cool.gif

I do not see any sense in trying a 10w-30. RSolo is using some high quality 5w-40, with low NOACK values and nice, high HTHS*... So what is the point in recommending a 10w-30? If he were using ILSAC xw-20 or 5w-30, yes. But he's in Europe...

*Edit: Motul 300V 5w-40 data sheet claims HTHS 4.1 and I found a russian VOA which showed NOACK of 9%.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd

10W-30 Doesn't really exist in Europe, only a few HDEOs in that grade but basically no PCMOs

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

frown.gif

Change the PCV Valve and valve stem seals, it is common for VTEC engines to burn oil.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Change the PCV Valve and valve stem seals, it is common for VTEC engines to burn oil.

Hi Ford,

I will follow also your suggestion , the PCV valve i changed ..but only the it ..because i did not receive also the black house ,and i changed not because of oil.. simply because it was making such a bad sound ...annoying to be honest
Thank you very much and appreciate your support !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back