Are my ignition wires out of spec in ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again all:) car in question, is a 9 corolla VE. yesterday used a multimeter, set at 20k ohms, and tested 2 ignition wire....it read 5.81-5.83 ohms. tested gain, and a 3rd time, same wires, the same reading. My haynes books, says recommended ohms is 10,000-20,000. the wires, i bought 4 years ago, from NAPA, mileage plus. i know thier lower ohms, but still...should they be replaced? they have 30,000 miles on em now.
I saw rockauto has denso wires, for $33/dealer wants $100,. think the rockauto ones are chinese roippoffs?

If they are over 5k ohms per foot, replace them. Also, while the ohm meter is connected, move the wires around and make sure reading is stable and doesn't indicate a momentary "open". If the wires do not exhibit any of these and there is no arcing present when wetted down under operation, they are ok.
Wires last a long time and are often replaced when they are perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Rockauto will not be chinese ripoff, at least not under the Denso name. Your dealer is the real ripoff.
wink.gif

Wierd that a 2009 doesn't have coil-on-plug but Toyota is conservative at times.

You were on the 20k setting, so your reading was 5.8k, not 5.8 ohms. I think your wires are just fine.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
If the engine is running fine, why would you replace them? 30,000 miles on ignition wires is nothing.

Agreed, there fine.

I have 10 year old cars with the original wires still and it runs like a champ excellent mileage.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Rockauto will not be chinese ripoff, at least not under the Denso name. Your dealer is the real ripoff.
wink.gif

Wierd that a 2009 doesn't have coil-on-plug but Toyota is conservative at times.

My 03 and 04 Corollas are coil on plug.

The wires sound perfectly fine. 3k/ft is a very reasonable value, so unless these are 5' long they are what they should be.

He's talking about a '9_ Corolla, not an '09. The VE was a trim level back then and not since like '99 or 2000 I think. An '09 would indeed be COP ignition.

A Haynes manual is generally good for kindling or emergency TP, but not solid automotive advice. Loose that thing.

Also, the NAPA wires would likely have come with a very good warranty. I replaced some last spring from them, no hassle and w/o me having the receipt - they found my purchase from years ago in their computer with the phone number.

Measuring ignition leads with low-voltage DC is entirely inaccurate and will tell you nothing about the condition of the wires besides being open circuit or well out of spec relative to the other wires (compensating for length obv.). Otherwise, different manufacturing techniques and types of cores can yield wildly different results on a multi-meter with neither being defective.

That said, I'd leave them.

Sounds like it.
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
You were on the 20k setting, so your reading was 5.8k, not 5.8 ohms. I think your wires are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back