M1 0-40, 3.395K, 2006 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
made a switch to M1 0-40. previous fill was castrol gtx 5-30. i forgot to mention to [censored] that i had my oil pickup tube replaced during the last interval, so if silicon comes up that's why. seems the oil did shear just a tad. i'll probably run it out to 4k next time. located in SW FL. low mileage STi engine that's been swapped into a 1998 RS2.5. anyone see any reason to not stay with this oil/grade ?

Code:

Oil Type: M10-40

Make up oil used: 0

Miles unit: 30.667k 24.879k

Mileage oil: 3395 3417

Date: 7/16 5/17 AVG

Aluminum 2 3 4

Chromium 1 1 2

Iron 6 7 20

Copper 6 6 10

Lead 1 1 1

Tin 1 0 0

Molybdenum 66 60 77

Nickel 1 0 0

Manganese 0 0 0

Silver 0 0 0

Titanium 0 0 0

Potassium 0 1 1

Boron 201 49 136

Silicon 30 11 18

Sodium 6 4 4

Calcium 2750 1098 2083

Magnesium 24 585 387

Phosphorus 848 583 777

Zinc 937 717 944

Barium 0 0 0

SUS@ 210F 62.5 57.2 63-76

cSt @100C 10.93 9.42 11.1-14.8

Flashpoint 395 385 >375

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0 0 0

Water % 0 0 0

Insolubles % .2 .2
TBN 7 >1

Last edited:
Looks great to me. Oil viscosity is well within spec, TBN is extremely good, and there seems to be no issues with other contaminants. Keep it rolling with this Mobil 1.

Good run.
You are obviously conservative to run M1 short - why not at least 5k - so easy to remember when it's time to change.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
Sorry to derail, but what word could have possibly been censored in the OP?

Just quote the post and it will show the censored word(s).

You can see it if you look at a reply-quote. I don't know what he could mean by using that acronym for cow manure there.

I'd try Castrol Edge 0w40 or Pennzoil 0w40 (either Euro or SRT flavors), all at Walmart or Amazon, as they are usually more shear stable than M1 0w40. The M1 dropped in visc quickly, and its done that to a lot of people.

Is this the new FS formula or the previous one? Also, are the dates in the headings wrong?

UOA looks good though. Minor fuel (going by the drop in flashpoint) which will explain a bit of the viscosity loss.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Good run.
You are obviously conservative to run M1 short - why not at least 5k - so easy to remember when it's time to change.

yes i was a bit conservative on the first run, i wasn't sure how much it was going to go out of grade. i'll let it go longer next time for sure.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Which one is the M1? Dates and mileage seem confusing?

the most recent is the M1, previous fill is castrol dino.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Love gc8s. Any reasons you are not running T6 like the majority of the Subaru community?

technically the body code is GM6. gc8's are oem turbo'd and gc8 never existed in USDM vehicles. this one happens to be turbo'd, but the oem chassis code is not gc8.

never used T6. heard some folks getting good results from this so i figured i'd give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Is this the new FS formula or the previous one? Also, are the dates in the headings wrong?

UOA looks good though. Minor fuel (going by the drop in flashpoint) which will explain a bit of the viscosity loss.

is there a way to tell from the bottle which formula it is? otherwise i'm not really sure. the dates in the headings are correct. last year this was a weekend vehicle, it's my daily now. the more recent flashpoint actually increased.

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

is there a way to tell from the bottle which formula it is? otherwise i'm not really sure. the dates in the headings are correct. last year this was a weekend vehicle, it's my daily now. the more recent flashpoint actually increased.

The FS bottles have a small "FS" on them on the front.

Regarding the dates, it looks like the higher mileage sample is 2016, the lower mileage one 2017, that's why a few of us have asked about it
wink.gif

oh you're right, i messed up. the dates should be flip flopped.

the back label does have an FS on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
You can see it if you look at a reply-quote. I don't know what he could mean by using that acronym for cow manure there.

I'd try Castrol Edge 0w40 or Pennzoil 0w40 (either Euro or SRT flavors), all at Walmart or Amazon, as they are usually more shear stable than M1 0w40. The M1 dropped in visc quickly, and its done that to a lot of people.

i'll keep an eye out for them. something to consider.

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
oh you're right, i messed up. the dates should be flip flopped.

the back label does have an FS on it.

OK, so this is the "new" formula, that's important because it is thinner than the previous version, starting out at 12.9cSt.

The GTX 5w-30 starts out at 11cSt and ended up at 9.42, a loss of 1.58cSt or 17%. Castrol does not list a flashpoint for this product.
The M1 FS 0w-40 starts out at 12.9cSt and ended up at 10.93, a loss of 1.97cSt or 18%.The flashpoint dropped from 439F to 395F, indicating the presence of fuel.

Given the broader spread and only minuscule increase in viscosity loss, which could easily be chalked up to fuel, I would not conclude that this oil exhibits any more evidence of mechanical shear than the previous fill. Definitely not any that would cause me to re-evaluate my lubricant selection.

Reckon one of the engines famous for fuel dilutions is the ecoboost - hence I have just started mine on Mobil 1 5w40 and therefore can bump up from 5k to 7.5k and still not pay for UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back