Should I change my oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was advised to change it every 15,000kms as I am only doing around 25,000kms a year and using really good oil.
ATM I have done around 13,000kms since the last oil change but the oil is still very very clean.
Should I change it anyway at 15, or leave a little longer?

Its a Ford XR6 turbo sedan with transmission cooler.

TIA.

Really depends on the brand of oil. Some do very well with long runs while others (mainly conventional) do not like to see above 7,500 miles.

Granted the vehicle is newer it will be using synthetic so it shouldn't be a problem however turbo's generally require more frequently changes as they are great at shearing the oil out of spec.

Realistically 10,000 miles should be fine if the oil is a high quality brand unless you are doing a lot of in city stop and go driving or short trips but we can't say for certain without sending a sample of the oil to be tested at the end of the 15,000km's.

It really wouldn't hurt to change it tho.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

It really wouldn't hurt to change it tho.

Yeah already have the oil and filter so might as well.

Thanks.

Ford recommend to change the oil , every 6 months maximum , you don't want the same oil to stay in your engine for more than 6 months , anyway I prefer to change my oil every 3000 miles even for full synthetic oils

Assuming it's stock, not running extra boost, etc., just change oil and filter every 15,000km and the engine will last forever. Honestly, being a low revving engine with a big oil capacity, you probably could do 20,000km between changes, but I personally wouldn't.

OP: Should I change my oil ?

This is BITOG, if you have to ask, then you need to change.

To be honest 13,000 KM (~ 8000 miles) is a decent interval. I did my oil today at less than that, but it was 6 months old and if I didn't do it today, it would probably be another 3 months before I would have found the time to do it.

What's the "good" oil that you are running.

Had a guy (great efficiency engineer) got one of those blue and white ones, and from the manual, Ford Recommended 15W40, which if you stick to the grade will probably not be the absolute best that you can get.

If you are using a synthetic name brand, 15,000km is fine.

Yonks ago, I rang Mobil about using the 0W40 in my 4Runner...after getting through the disclaimers, they got to annual oil changes...5,000km, or 40,000km, annual.

It's not the same, but my Colorado is nominally 9 months or 15,000km...

But has an oil life monitor, which Holden say to follow to a maximum of 1,000km post 0% remaining, BUT to change it no less frequently than annually, as in ideal conditions, the OLM will allow much longer then 15,000km (I did 900km highway over 2 days, and it didn't move a percent.

I am wondering that too... What is the "good oil"? I know which one is the best already. I just don't know which one is good yet
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Fadi
Ford recommend to change the oil , every 6 months maximum , you don't want the same oil to stay in your engine for more than 6 months , anyway I prefer to change my oil every 3000 miles even for full synthetic oils

Its been 6 months now, so will do it asap.
Got a couple of days off so have time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What's the "good" oil that you are running.

Penrite 10-Tenths Racing, Full Synthetic 10W-40

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7

Its been 6 months now, so will do it asap.
Got a couple of days off so have time.

Greatwhite, the interval for your car is 12 months or 15,000km, and you're doing 25,000km per year... Take the oil out to 15,000km with no worries!

Originally Posted By: hpb

Greatwhite, the interval for your car is 12 months or 15,000km, and you're doing 25,000km per year... Take the oil out to 15,000km with no worries!

Thanks mate, another month or so then.
Cheers

Based on what? Feel good?

Originally Posted By: hpb

15,000 km is not hurting the oil at all. You can run a bit longer without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back