04 Lexus ES330 PUP 10333mi TBN/TAN/Particle count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOG faithful, here is the most recent run in the GF's Lexus at 159,405 miles on PUP 5w30 run for just about 6 months on oil that Pennzoil provided. I paid for the entire report because there is apparently "funding issues" with the Pennzoil TAB at Blackstone. I wanted the results so I just opted to foot the bill.

Car use hasn't changed since the previous sample (work days 110 miles round trip, days off short in town trips) which was 4 quarts of M1 SM spec 5w30 and 1 quart Red Line 5w30 with a FL910S filter. Current run was with a Fram Ultra XG3614 cut/posted here on the forum.

I have to admit the UOA additives portion looks really weak, but the oil performed admirably, I was skeptical that it could show any improvement over what I'd been seeing, but wear metals are within the accuracy of the analysis or down.

Current fill is PYB SAE 30 and a Rock Auto Ultra Power filter that appears to be a copy of a DENSO or Toyota filter, current run will be in the car for 5,600 ish with another sample after.

I meant to mention that I expected slightly lower counts on the particle count at 21 & 14 microns but I still think the Fram Ultra did well here.

The uoa section is my favorite. I look at almost everyone of them. I cannot recall ever seeing a 3 ppm iron for 10k miles. That is very very low. 1 ppm iron per 1k is pretty rare but 0.3/1k is super. Nice report. I look forward to seeing how pyb sae 30 does.

I am quite sure that you know that a voa does not show all what makes up a oil. It may well seem a bit short of somethings additive wise. I do thing the zinc and phosphorus are just a bit lower than I would've expected.
The oil is in great shape after these miles. In grade viscosity wise and good flash point.
I like the insolubles that you had tested as well. Very interesting in how many less than 10 micons the filter caught. I may well be wrong but I believe that particles between 10-40 micons cause the most wear in an engine. The Fram Ultra is a top tier filter for sure.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am quite sure that you know that a voa does not show all what makes up a oil. It may well seem a bit short of somethings additive wise. I do thing the zinc and phosphorus are just a bit lower than I would've expected.
The oil is in great shape after these miles. In grade viscosity wise and good flash point.
I like the insolubles that you had tested as well. Very interesting in how many less than 10 micons the filter caught. I may well be wrong but I believe that particles between 10-40 micons cause the most wear in an engine. The Fram Ultra is a top tier filter for sure.

I have no doubt that there are inorganic additives at work here, the oil really performed well for as little shows up on the UOA.

I will have a particle test done with the unknown efficicncy filter that's currently installed for comparision next UOA.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I meant to mention that I expected slightly lower counts on the particle count at 21 & 14 microns but I still think the Fram Ultra did well here.

Do you have any other particle count data like this for a different filter besides the Ultra? Also, I'm thinking how long the filter is ran might also contribute to how the particle count comes out. So comparing Filter A to Filter B that was ran half the distance might no be a true comparison.

Z06,

I don't have any other particle count data currently and I'm not willing to run this filter for 10k as I've never run or cut one before. I'm going to run it for 5k and cut and get a particle count. If it looks ok I'll consider running one 10k but the more likely situation would be to run one of my Wix made Car Quest Blue filters to 10k on the same oil (or perhaps M1 EP) as an A/B test.

The car will be running straight weight oil for the summer, this fall it'll be back to a multi-vis and I'll likely do another 10k run then.

I'm not sure how the shorter run would stack up. I suspect at even half the mileage to see significantly more in the particle count 14 microns up to 40 microns maybe even 70 even on the shorter run.

This car is approaching its next service with its current fill of PYB SAE 30 with a unknown COO filter (likely PRC) would there be any interest here in a particle count on the cheap filter as a comparison to the Fram Ultra? I recognize that the current ~5,600 mile run is basically half as long but it's not an extended drain oil or filter like was in use with the PUP. If there is enough curiosity I'll ask for another count on my next service.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I think it would be neat to see. Incredible results with the PUP. Makes me glad I stocked up on some when Amazon had them on sale.

This car has returned excellent UOA results every sample I've taken, I plan to run a batch of M1 EP with the same filter for the same length of time to see how the A/B results pan out. The PUP results are very good, however I think the iron and aluminum numbers are within the accuracy of the analysis considering I've seen VOA with 1-3 ppm of Fe/Al in them.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I think the OP is the single best UOA I have ever seen, as far as wear metals go.

Thank you, I didn't do anything special here, just a good low wear metal producing engine that has been well cared for its entire life. But I appreciate the compliment.

Great report. I think you owe the unusually low wear to the Fram Ultra XG3614, not only super-quality but also oversized. It'll definitely be my next oil filter in my Corolla.

One thought though: Given the super efficiency of XG3614, some of the iron may be caught in the oil-filter media instead of showing in the UOA.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Great report. I think you owe the unusually low wear to the Fram Ultra XG3614, not only super-quality but also oversized. It'll definitely be my next oil filter in my Corolla.

One thought though: Given the super efficiency of XG3614, some of the iron may be caught in the oil-filter media instead of showing in the UOA.

The 3614 isn't oversized for this car, the previous 2 oil changes had Motorcraft FL-910S filters and also had really low wear rates. The filter isn't trapping the iron the engine is shedding, if it was shedding iron big enough to be caught in any significant quantities then it would have a ton of iron smaller than it could catch as well.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I think the OP is the single best UOA I have ever seen, as far as wear metals go.

2002 1MZ-FE UOA

Check that one out.

Engine from the same family. However my report is significantly better in terms of ppm/mile for both iron and aluminum. However both engines from the same family (cousins) are known to shed very little metal.

Originally Posted By: 04SE

2002 1MZ-FE UOA

Check that one out.

Engine from the same family. However my report is significantly better in terms of ppm/mile for both iron and aluminum. However both engines from the same family (cousins) are known to shed very little metal.

Significantly better? No.

Not to go all DNewton on your thread buuuuuuuut...

You ran 10,333 miles or exactly 2.5 times what I did at 4,133.

I had 1 PPM aluminum or converted to your mileage I had 2.5 to your 2.

I had 2 PPM iron or converted to your mileage I had 5 to your 3.

These differences could easily be attributable to machine calibration at Blackstone.

My point wasn't to say mine was better when I posted my UOA. My point was to show an engine from the same family with low wear and share an appreciation of them.

The 3614 isn't oversized for this car, the previous 2 oil changes had Motorcraft FL-910S filters and also had really low wear rates.

I agree that the main reason behind the low wear rates is the unsurpassed Lexus reliability. However, I think Fram Ultra helped to lower the wear numbers even more.

You're a brave man for trusting the Chinese-counterfeit Toyota/Denso-knockoff oil filters you got from RockAuto. I hope nothing goes wrong with them. Keep us updated!

I just drove the car today, currently has 4,950 miles on the PYB SAE 30 and Toyota copy filter, no start up noise of any sort, oil light goes out instantly on startup. The current oil and filter will be in service about another 650 miles to bring the car to around 165,000 miles to keel the oil services easy on the 5/10k marks. I will be sending in a sample and I will post pictures of the used filter.

It would be more brave had I not cut open a new one and found decent construction. Had it been questionable I wouldn't have used it. How it held up remains to be seen. We should know in a few weeks!

How it held up remains to be seen. We should know in a few weeks!

Shoot, run this batch out to 10K!

Then surprise us all (but not me) with another amazing low PPM analysis, using plain 30 PYB and a cheap filter!

I'll bet you money this run to 10K with PYB30 & cheap filter will show similar results.

Anyone take that Bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back