Key immobilizer light flashing while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving my Accord to work and the green key immobilizer light randomly flashed for about 5 sec. It then turned off and hasn't come back on since. The car starts and drives fine and the security system engages normally when locked.

I'm thinking the original key is worn so I've switched to my never-used valet key. The new key seems to insert tighter into the cylinder. I'll keep monitoring but what else could be the cause here?

IDK but you might want to look into what it takes to program a new key. Sometimes it's two currently working keys OR an expensive trip to the dealer.

If your key is on its way out, get something good from its last gasp.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
With my Nissan that's an indication the battery is low in the fob

I agree! It could also be in the ignition switch itself.
The system is trying to tell you something. What that something is, is what we don't know. Look for something simple first like, Oh IDK, have your battery load tested to see if you may have a bad cell.

OR for example, the '06 Mazda3 in my signature, the Engine Immobilizer [SOMETIMES] continues to flash & beep when the engine is shut off and key is "removed"...as if the key is still in the ignition w/door open. All we have to do is, reinsert the key(w/o turning it) and immediately pull out the key again.

It's been doing this for the 8 years we've owned the car! It just doesn't happen often enough to warrant any investigation.

Thank you for the input everyone.

- The car battery is only 6 months old from AAP.
- The ignition switch was replaced under recall a few years back.
- The key fob range hasn't been that great for a while. I'll replace the batteries in both fobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back