Considering 2013+ Lexus GS350

Status
Not open for further replies.
...what say the BITOG brain trust?

Basically I would be looking at a CPO GS, drove one several months back and was definitely impressed, it was AWD, but I'm struggling with whether I'd go that route or stick with RWD as we are going to be moving out of the Pacific Northworst within a year and heading down to SoCal or possibly Arizona, so AWD is probably not necessary.

I also like the fact the RWD comes with an 8-speed vs the AWD 6-speed, I'm sure it translates to better MPG, and there are no AWD parts to worry about. I have read that some AWD owners are reporting a persistent whine from the transmission tunnel where the integrated transfer case is?

Any BITOGers have one?

Last edited:
I'd prefer the RWD model since it's less complex. Should do fine in bad weather with nice quality tires on it.

I just purchased a 2017 GS350. Absolutely love it. Some thoughts:

1) The GS350 was just redesigned for the 2013 model year - so that's the first year of a new model. Although Toyota/Lexus does quite well quality wise, I would still be a bit hesitant to buy the first year of a newly designed model.

I purchased RWD to reduce complexity, and, even in AWD, you don't buy these types of vehicles because they're good in the snow. I prefer the 8-speed automatic as well. The reason the AWD does not come with the 8 speed is that the 8-speed auto cannot fit in the space with the additional AWD hardware.

For what it's worth: If you buy extended warranties, for the longest term available on new vehicles (10 years, 125K miles) the AWD version's extended warranty is $1,000 more than without AWD. No doubt it would be more expensive to repair if repairs are needed.

Are you considering an F-Sport or base model? The F-sport comes with better brakes, but they wear much more quickly, and the earlier models had problems with their rotors. I have heard an average life of 20K miles on the brakes on the F-Sport model, and I do not believe the rotors can be resurfaced, so it costs about $1,000 for a brake job every 20K miles. This is only on the F-Sport model.

My personal preference is to get the base RWD, but with the "Luxury" package - it's rare but comes with many upgrades.

My mother bought a CPO 2013 GS350 AWD in October of 2015 with 30,000 miles on it. Single owner, serviced at the dealership she bought it from since new every 5,000 miles per the Lexus schedule. It has the technology package, cold weather package, rear seat climate control and independent radio controls in the center arm rest and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

She doesn't drive much anymore and she travels a lot especially in the winter and has only put about 11,000 miles on it since she bought it. It has been an absolutely fantastic car for her, it's fun to drive, sure footed, and the AWD combined with 4 Blizzak tires it's incredible even in Marquette Michigan winters. She really wanted the 8 sp transmission for the increased fuel economy but now that she doesn't have it she really doesn't miss it. The 6sp auto is really really good, lightning fast shifts, well matched gear ratios, superb. The 3.5 V-6 is fast, impressive fast in that size car. Fuel economy is a mixed bag, around town with her really short trips (3-5 miles) it's not good, 12.5-17 depending on winter or summer or how long it warms up. On the highway it's always exceeding the EPA estimate, she routinely gets 27.8-30.5.

The original Dunlop tires her came with aren't anything exciting and we will be replacing them with Dunlop Signature Series next summer. The original tires are hard and noisy and not very grippy.

I can't think of anything she doesn't like about the car, she raves about it every time I talk to her about it. The only thing that has failed since she's owned it (or I need to get the manual out again and figure out how to work it again) is the auto wiper enable button on the multifunction switch. Wipers work in normal mode but about 6 months ago the button stopped switching the modes. Unfortunately she lives 3 hours from the dealer so she hasn't had it in to get it fixed yet.

I bought her previous Lexus ES so I'm looking forward to buying this one when she buys another.

Wow thanks a ton for the info, glad to hear some owner experiences. I think going 2014+ seems best as I intend to drive it until it falls apart. Glad to hear some of these 8-speed owners are getting decent MPGs as I do 47 miles each way on the freeway right now. Another thing I'm drawn to is the excellent safety rating, nice to be in a heavier rig that can stack the odds in your favor should an accident happen.

After driving my (formerly mothers) 2004 ES330 and 2013 GS350 back to back there is no comparison. The ES is a great car and has been exceptionally reliable but it doesn't hold a candle to the GS in any performance metric. The GS is faster, quieter, handles better, steers and stops better, has better body roll control etc. The only place the ES wins is fuel economy and it's ability to use 87 octane vs 91 (minimum). If I was in the market for a 4 door grand touring sedan I would absolutely buy a GS, I actually prefer it to a 3/5 series or a C/E class.

I just 're read your first post. My mother's GS AWD does have a very very very slight gear whine, she's never even noticed it. I pointed it out to her once I figured out how to make it do it. Her car only does it on deceleration from about 60-68 below 60 you can't hear it at all above 68 same thing, can't hear it. At least in her car it's almost not noticeable. If the HVAC is on with the fan above half you can't hear it. If the radio is on at any audible volume you can't hear it, that's how slight the noise is.

I"m just here because i'm considering swapping my AWD G35 for a RWD GS350 at one point or a LS model. I live in city where it can get bad in the winters. But if i get the RWD model, i would probably grab a cheap winter beater.

I have not done the research but what exactly does F sport give you? bumpers, Brembos, sway bar, sport seat, .5- 1 inch lower ride height? Anything else?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back