Accord drain and refill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled the plug on my 2012 2.4 Accord auto tranny. Fluid was brownish red,but definitely not in bad shape. No fudge whatsoever on the magnetic drain plug. Exactly 2.5 quarts came out (I drained it into an empty GTX 5 quart oil jug. Here's my question. Would it do any good to pour some fresh fluid into the fill hole with the drain plug out to "cycle some fresh fluid" through it before I refill it,or would that just be a waste of fluid?

Waste of fluid really. I mean i've done it before and it 'feels good' but its a waste. Much better to just drive it around a few weeks and do another drain and fill if you want to be extra nice to it.

Sounds like it would barely rinse the pan and would be a waste. I would opt for doing second drain and fill instead.

Would not help unless there was chunks of stuff coming out or was contaminated.

I would just drain/fill it again at the next oil change.

Thanks! You should see this fluid,it's literally blood red! Well,as to not wanting an open half quart laying around,I "flushed it" with a half quart and will use the remaining half for the 2.5 quart refill. Heck,I only wasted three bux worth of juice.

After I got it all buttoned back up and on the ground,it took an even three quarts to bring it to the full mark once good and hot. I'm amazed at how easy these cars are to DIY.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Waste of fluid really. I mean i've done it before and it 'feels good' but its a waste. Much better to just drive it around a few weeks and do another drain and fill if you want to be extra nice to it.

I agree.

If I remember right, the manual states to do a full flush you need to do three drain and refills. I did that when I switched over to Amsoil ATF in my old Integra. Just using DW1 in the Accord now to save a few bucks. I mean, it made it to 585k on the stuff so it has to work.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
If I remember right, the manual states to do a full flush you need to do three drain and refills. I did that when I switched over to Amsoil ATF in my old Integra. Just using DW1 in the Accord now to save a few bucks. I mean, it made it to 585k on the stuff so it has to work.

Yeah,there's a really good video on Youtube showing the step by step process,and he mentions doing three drain/refills. I'd like to see your Accord! I can't remember if ever have or not. I keep hearing about using the Honda fluid only. I wonder how different it is over other fluids?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
....Yeah,there's a really good video on Youtube showing the step by step process,and he mentions doing three drain/refills......I keep hearing about using the Honda fluid only. I wonder how different it is over other fluids?

Yes, the 3x d&f ATF is a recommended procedure. Otoh, IME single d&fs every 25-35k miles has worked fine for me on two Hondas, including an 01 Civic and a 3.0L v6. The first now has over 265+k miles on original trans. If you look at carcomplaints.com on that year/model would seem if single d&f's didn't work, that would be a candidate.

If you want to get really serious you could do a trans line exchange and get all the old out at one time. There's a good youtube on a Honda showing it to be a one man process. If I was going to do it, I'd prefer to have two available, but that's just me. Seeing as single d&f's have worked for me, no reason to change.

As for using only Honda fluids. When you asked for a listing on a previous thread, I listed all the aftermarket for Honda fluids I have used over significant miles that have worked and still work for me. At significant savings too.

When it comes to DW1, it must be better than Z1 but that wouldn't be saying much. In reading this board, my observation is Z1 one most maligned ATF's posted here. And there is at least one thread showing it to have sheared quickly, basically noting special imo. MaxLife has worked fine for me in the two noted applications calling for Z1, and I'd have no fear of using it in a DW1 application out of vehicle warranty.

That said, if using Honda fluids brings you POM that's what you should use.

Hondas ATs I've done D/Fs on are so easy to do, I couldn't bother with any other method of fluid exchange on them.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Yes, the 3x d&f ATF is a recommended procedure. Otoh, IME single d&fs every 25-35k miles has worked fine for me on two Hondas, including an 01 Civic and a 3.0L v6. The first now has over 265+k miles on original trans.

Honda does have a write-up describing a 3X drain-and-refill but I'm not sure that by "recommended" they mean do that every time instead of 1X drain-and-refill. In fact, in the manual for the '05 Odyssey we had, it does describe a 3X procedure but it's after a section where it mentions using DEXRON III as a substitute when Z1 wasn't available.

After that description, there is this paragraph:

Quote:
The transmission should be drained and refilled with new fluid when this service is indicated on a maintenance message on the odometer/trip meter display or on the multi-information display.

Note that it doesn't indicate how many times.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Yes, the 3x d&f ATF is a recommended procedure. Otoh, IME single d&fs every 25-35k miles has worked fine for me on two Hondas, including an 01 Civic and a 3.0L v6. The first now has over 265+k miles on original trans.

Honda does have a write-up describing a 3X drain-and-refill but I'm not sure that by "recommended" they mean do that every time instead of 1X drain-and-refill. In fact, in the manual for the '05 Odyssey we had, it does describe a 3X procedure but it's after a section where it mentions using DEXRON III as a substitute when Z1 wasn't available....

For the OP's 2012 model Accord there is no mention of the 3x procedure, or since it specs DW1, using Dex III in a bind. Just to use DW1 with d&f according to MM, period.

Otoh, the 01 Civic and 07 Accord OM says " 5.) If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid in to the filler hole to bring it to the upper mark. Always use genuine Honda ATF-Z1(Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient."

"To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill it with genuine Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid), then drive the vehicle a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time."

So perhaps only the 3X times procedure is recommended only if Dex III was used, but that's somewhat ambiguous. Could be just if a thorough flush is desired.

Wouldn't even want to think what a Honda dealer would charge for that service.
whistle.gif

So perhaps only the 3X times procedure is recommended only if Dex III was used, but that's somewhat ambiguous. Could be just if a thorough flush is desired.

Wouldn't even want to think what a Honda dealer would charge for that service.
whistle.gif

Uhhh, yeah, that's exactly what I said.... The 3X only applies when you "need" to remove that Dexron III stuff and Honda's engineers have determined that 3X is sufficient. It's not all gone, but enough of it is gone that they're okay with what may remain.

Cost-wise, I've seen dealers charge ~$80 for a single drain-and-refill. Worst case, triple that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back