Brakes & Rotors Recommendations. Durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I get recommendations for reasonably priced quality brakes for a heavy sedan?

On my '05 Ford 500 I've been told that I need brakes and rotors all around by 1 completant mechanic and another that did not really look. I can get them installed reasonably by a neighbor but can not figure which brand / model would provide reliable service at low cost. All the advertisements look the same to me. It's a heavy car, high in miles. And I drive along roads that do occasionally have deer and other demands that require sudden braking without warning. I hope this is the last set of brakes for the car but if the pos does happen to not fall apart I will just keep driving it.

Shopping preferences are rock auto, amazon, napa or other local stores.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Akebono ProAct Ceramic is always my first choice.

Rotors are less important. NAPA $40 ones are fine.

Odd that front and back needed at same time.

Rotors can be machined. Maybe.

Advance's Gold pads are perfect, they can get you a cheap rotor as well. They are my go to for bargains, hope you have them in your area. Online shopping is difficult with extremely heavy components...

I would argue that rotor choice in the rust belt is as important if not more important to service life than pad selection.

I've had fantastic luck with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors or their Rust prevention line.

Both rotors use a corrosion prevention coating and are cast from premium materials.

I like to pair them with Raybestos EHT pads for nice initial feel and high temp bite.

I've also had excellent luck with the Akebono ACT pads but they don't have as much hot or cold bite as the Raybestos EHT in any application I've used them in.

Bottom line do not buy a rotor without some sort of corrosion prevention coating, your car had it new and it's just as important now.

Long story short.....I got a set of rotors from a guy who hadn't installed them before selling his car.

I took 'em to the national chain auto parts store which handled that brand (not at all sure it was the store where the stuff was bought) to get credit toward rotors for my Volvo V70. I was completely up front with the counterman.

The only ones they had in their catalog were of the "corrosion protected" type mentioned. They were more expensive. I was good with it and the salesman assured me it was the way to go. He said that the anti-corrosion type was the mark of a top shelf product of theirs and that I could return them at whim if I had any second thoughts.

Yes, I've heard and do not disagree with the "Use only Volvo brake parts" mantra but I had this set 60% gifted to me and I had purchased parts there which performed well in the past. Plus, I do believe all these chains carry good, better and best lines.

They're your brakes for heaven's sake. Go for better parts and pay for 'em separately if it helps fulfill any rewards program they have.

^^^And that was the short version^^^.
laugh.gif

Akebono makes a great high quality coated rotor now, as good as a Zimmerman. Ive noticed the cheap ones rust rot and are way more likely to warp than a OE level one. You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wagner E-coated rotors

I was just looking at those on Rock. Only $50 shipped for two front ones on the Matrix. Not bad, thanks!

A mechanic at a shop.I know put a high quality rotor on one side of a vehicle and a lesser quality on the other side. A year latter both worked fine but looked very rusty.

This was a few years ago before they came out with the anti-corrosive coatings.

Last edited:
A second vote for akebono. The pro act ceramic are very good. I'm running akebono street performance with generic rotors on my fusion. Excellent performance with slightly more cold bite vs the pro act. Hot performance is ridiculous, a panic stop will throw you through the windshield. They are also known for long life, so will be the last set you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Akebono ProAct Ceramic is always my first choice.

Rotors are less important. NAPA $40 ones are fine.

Odd that front and back needed at same time.

Rotors can be machined. Maybe.

I agree with this. Stick with a lower priced, but respected brand rotor and use the savings on higher quality pads. Best pads I have used have been Akebono, Advics, Raybestos and Bendix; my favorite being Bendix. I personally prefer semi-metallic if I can get them in whatever application I happen to be working on.

Thanks to all that commented. I will look at the suggestions and get the front's ordered. I know the front rotors need replacing. Years ago I had a bad set on the car fresh from the dealer and it was a squeaking vibrating bad experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back