Acdelco air filter made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I ordered an Acdelco A1329C from RockAuto this week. I ordered a different Acdelco air filter a couple of months ago for my brother's car. It was a good filter, nice and clean construction. I liked that it said Made in the USA.

This one says Made in China, and another thing that concerns me is that it looks like it was already used?

Did I get the right filter? Here are some pictures. I just pulled it out of the box and it looks like this.

Last edited:
It's not used. It likely was shipped in bulk and picked up the dust bunny and smudge during the rehandling/repackaging process.

As far as "Made in China" outrage goes, I have 2 thoughts:
1) We all should've been taking notes all along so we could have a) communicated with suppliers while all this was happening in an attempt to sway them to stay stateside, b) kept score so we could hold any false "red, white and blue" noises a company made against them.

2) I figure the only thing I can do is spend my money local (USA, Canada and Mexico) and east (Europe, Scandinavia) in a feeble attempt to go against the tide.

Baby, there ain't much else anyone can do about it. Kira

Looking at all of life's problems-what country my vehicles air cleaner is made in-is the least of my concerns. I'm not running from auto parts store to auto parts store looking for .50cent clearance oil nor an air filter made in the U.S.A.

What does it say under the sticker that's been clearly picked off at the top corners and placed there?

What does it say under the sticker that's been clearly picked off at the top corners and placed there?

^ Exactly ^

I was the one who peeled back the top corners, then, I pushed it back.

It says under the Made in China sticker, Made in the U.S.A..

The Made in the U.S.A. is printed on the box.

The filter I bought a couple months ago said Made in the U.S.A. right on the filter.

It must not be this way across the entire AcDelco lineup.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You can buy about 3 China made filters on eBay for the price of that one "AC Delco" brand named, still made in China filter.

I ordered the AC Delco filter because I thought it was made in the U.S.A.. I one I ordered a couple months ago was, but, it was a different filter number, for a different car.

Our dad's tundra air filter from the Toyota dealer is the Made in the U.S.A. Denso. I ordered a Denso First Time Fit for one of our other vehicles a couple of years ago, and it was made in the U.S.A. as well.

But, other people are saying the First Time Fit filters are being made in China.

The reason I am trying to be careful is because we had a issue with a Made in China Purolator air filter a few years ago. I don't think I did it when installing the filter, I was trying to be careful. When I pulled it out, one part of the rubber seal was deformed. Switched to Toyota filters after that, and all the filters I pulled out to change looked great, rubber seals all good and no issues.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You can buy about 3 China made filters on eBay for the price of that one "AC Delco" brand named, still made in China filter.

For this to be meaningful (a) All China made filters have to be the same (assumed poor) quality, and (b) consequently, the "AC Delco" brand has to have no value, with no implications for quality control oversight.

I dunno about (b), but I'd say (a) is unlikely, and certainly isn't proven.

I try to buy USA made as a first choice. I recently bought some Bosch Workshop air filters for my 2016 Nissan NV 2500, 2003 Toyota 4Runner, and 2010 Toyota RAV4. The Rav4's filters were "made in Bulgaria" the other two were "made in China".

I recently replaced the rotors on my 2007 F150 and wanted to use non-Chinese, so I ordered Motorcraft from the Ford dealer. They were "made in China" with a 1 year warranty so I refused them and bought Chinese O'Reilly rotors with a 2 year warranty for less.

This is why I don't like ordering online, unless it's direct from the manufacturer or from brick and mortar auto parts stores.

When you bought it from Rockauto, did it by chance be advertised as a "Wholesaler Closeout"? A good portion of Rockauto's inventory is parts store closeouts and old inventory. Stuff can be dated and have been around the block.

While the few specs of dust bunny lint is not ideal, I would run it because it will look the same after a days worth of use.

OT, a bit. I just purchased from Amazon and installed a Bosch WS (workshop) AF it too made in China, on a Tacoma. It replaced a Fram EG AF made in Mexico. Before installation gave it a good look, the quality of the Bosch was equal to or better than the Fram. I have pics with comparison, just haven't gotten around to posting them yet.

There was a time when "Made in Japan" = cheap junk.
Not so any more.
"Made in China" doesn't always mean it's junk, especially when made to order for a major brand.

they are all made in China
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Made is China doesn't always mean low quality.

Agreed, provided you have 100% inspection of the raw materials and absolute oversight over the entire production process. Take your eyes off of them for even a minute period of time, and you will have substandard materials being used, production shortcuts being taken, and junk being produced.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Made is China doesn't always mean low quality.

Agreed, provided you have 100% inspection of the raw materials and absolute oversight over the entire production process. Take your eyes off of them for even a minute period of time, and you will have substandard materials being used, production shortcuts being taken, and junk being produced.

This, unfortunately, is also often the case in the good ol' USA.
Collapsing buildings, debris falling in tunnels, pipelines leaking etc.

The difference being in the USA it is the exception rather than the rule. In China, it's the rule rather than the exception. Major culture difference here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back