Oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried reading all the old oil filter posts and I'm still not sure. What are some good filters that are available in Walmart, Adavance Auto etc? Right now I'm using Motorcraft in my Fords and Mobil M1 in my boat. Thanks

Motorcraft, Mobil 1 filters, Baldwin, Wix. THOSE are solid filters for box store filters. I personally use Microgreen filters. They have a small bypass filter built in to them. The main filter filters 25-40um, the bypass is rated at 2-5um. I saw data comparing it to a K&N filter. For me though, it is just for the warm and fuzzies. Will it make my equipment last longer? I doubt it.

welcome2.gif
Motorcraft (AFAIK still Purolator/M&H made) is OK, Mobil 1 was better before they started the "A" suffix filters-since then they've been slipping somewhat. Still hard to beat a Baldwin, Fram Ultra, or Wix/NAPA Gold, or if you want to spend a little more, Royal Purple or Donaldson.

I'd use either Fram Ultra or a Mobil 1 filter. IIRC Motorcraft is still made by Purolator and that would take them off 'my' list.

I wouldn't stress on who makes the filter unless there is evidence that the manufacturer makes said filter to the same specification as another that has been found to be wanting.

I am using Mann and Mobil1 in my upcoming changes. Sooner or later, Fram Ultra will supplant the M1 unless there is some other great new filter that comes out soon.

About the only brand I'd avoid is Purolator aka Tearolator. Motorcraft ones seem to be made to a higher standard, but it's a little close for comfort.

Most of the Motorcraft part numbers are AOK as evidenced by the body of cut & posts. The FL820S can sometimes tear just like their Purolator siblings. When they tear, it will be on either side of the media seam. I have also seen rust on the outlet side of the dome end cap on new filters.

Your filter choices are great. The most important thing about a filter over any marketing claim that is believed as fact is that the filter doesn't fail

What is your planned OC interval? i.e....3000. 5000. 7500 or 10,000+

The oil filter you choose depends very much on the total miles you plan on using the filter...and the type of driving you do. Some top-tier filters (such as the Fram Ultra) can be used over several OC's.

IMO, a top-tier and reasonably priced filter (at WalMart) is the Fram Ultra....good for 10,000 to 15,000 OC's.

Motorcraft oil filters are really hard to beat for the price. Fram Ultra is by far the best filter of all in my opinion, but priced as such too. I am not a Purolator hater and have been using them since 1987 and continue to use them. Even with the so called tearing if you change your oil at reasonable intervals, you engine will out last your love for that car or truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

The oil filter you choose depends very much on the total miles you plan on using the filter...and the type of driving you do. Some top-tier filters (such as the Fram Ultra) can be used over several OC's.

IMO, a top-tier and reasonably priced filter (at WalMart) is the Fram Ultra....good for 10,000 to 15,000 OC's.

Ford Escape - 9500 miles
Dodge Dakota - 5000 miles
Mazda 6 - 5000 miles
Yamaha F150 - once a year (outboard)

Last edited:
I was using Motorcraft FL1A filters but that caused startup noise so I put a Wix XP and that causes noise too. I got two Bosch Distance Plus filters today at walmart for $3 a piece. We shall see how those do.

Originally Posted By: Michael1234560
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Ford Escape - 9500 miles
Dodge Dakota - 5000 miles
Mazda 6 - 5000 miles
Yamaha F150 - once a year (outboard)

IMO...THE FILTERS I WOULD USE FOR;

Ford Escape (9500 miles): Fram Ultra or Fram Tough Guard

Dodge Dakota & Mazda 6 (5000 miles); Fram ULTRA ***(Use for 2 OC's of 5K each)

Both of these filters ca be bought at WalMart very reasonably.

I tried reading all the old oil filter posts and I'm still not sure. What are some good filters that are available in Walmart,

Believe it or not, the new SuperTechs at walmart are made by Affinia/Wix.

An EXCELLENT value filter for low cost.

I tried reading all the old oil filter posts and I'm still not sure. What are some good filters that are available in Walmart, Adavance Auto etc? Right now I'm using Motorcraft in my Fords and Mobil M1 in my boat. Thanks

Currently my local Walmart has the Mobil M1 extended service cans for $9.97. That's what I've picked up for my Duramax!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back