Quaker State oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Quaker State is owned by RDS and they own Pennzoil also would the two oils be almost the same? Im sure they come from the same refinery in Houston. QS is cheaper by 5-7 bucks for a 5 gallon jug.

9gFHGw0.png

As you can see here, they're not the same oil. However for all real world purposes, they should both perform about the same. So technically no, but realistically yes. Pennzoil uses their cool gas to liquid group III+ base-stocks, while QS supposedly doesn't. Regardless, they're both great oils and should hold up roughly the same.

QSUD and PP used to be indistinguishable from the LIMITED spec survey that PQIA performs.

Havent done a comparo recently.

In MY usage the Jury is still WAY out on the GTL basestock RDS is using in a lot of their brands.

Didn't cut it in the last Forester FB25 where VSP worked stupendously.

My Rogue is running HURT right now and I wasn't able to "hurt" it with Magnatec.

I have to go over the fueling/Induction system ONE MORE TIME before I can blame the oil.

Had rodent issues last year.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Since Quaker State is owned by RDS and they own Pennzoil also would the two oils be almost the same? Im sure they come from the same refinery in Houston. QS is cheaper by 5-7 bucks for a 5 gallon jug.

They're NOT the same if QS 10w has a ~5% NOACK and PP doesn't or hasn't released it?

QS 10W NOACK (look for this)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gmh101357

Just a side note.

I seriously doubt motor oil is bottled in any refinery. Its most likely bottled by 3rd party regional contractors according to SOPUS' specs. There is a huge Shell facility in Houston, but they make fuel and raw chemical products for use in other industries.

SOPUS has a corp office in downtown which is why there's a Houston address on the containers. Motor oil is very small part of Shell's business.

The two companies are more or less run independently.
Even their 'branded' oil filters were made by different
oil filter manufacturers. The Pennz filter was made by Fram and the
Quaker State filters were not (don't recall).
That was a few year back, so they could be different now. I do know that
QS, or it's contractor for filters, had been shrinking some of their part
numbers. The *8A (PH8A) was suddenly the PH43 size.

Pennzoil filters are Purolator made, QS were Champ last time I checked (but it has been a long time since I looked).

As for comparing Pennzoil and QS, they are similar, but not the same. Conventional are very close from what I have seen, but Pennzoil is the top tier product, with QS (and then Shell) being the budget level oil.
There have been rumors that QSUD may have some GTL base stock if SOPUS has extra.

Quaker State oil filters, as well as Pennzoil & Performax oil filters, have been manufactured by Purolator for some years now. With the exception of the Pennzoil Platinum HE HPZ-XXX series, they appear identical internally and all have Purolator style date codes.

All these 3 brands are now "consolidated" with regard to filter sizes with lube shop inventory simplification and inventory / overhead minimization in mind.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Who is RDS?
I thought that QS & Penn were both owned by SOPUS!

Royal Dutch Shell is the parent company.

Shell Oil Products United States just pertains to their operations in the US.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Who is RDS?
I thought that QS & Penn were both owned by SOPUS!

Royal Dutch Shell is the parent company.

Shell Oil Products United States just pertains to their operations in the US.

Thanks. All the years on this forum, I never knew that!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back