A new Toro that is self propelled going backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a Toro dealer, I spotted a new Toro Personal Pace mower that is self propelled going forward and backwards.
It's the Powereverse model 20357.

It appears to be RWD when going forward, but switches to FWD when propelling the mower rearward. Cool idea actually.
I see a lot of people mowing that do mow backwards at times dealing with obstacles and intricacies of the job at hand.
I'm guessing this isn't a new idea, just one the manufactures avoided. I imagine someone will manage to run over their foot
with one of these, especially if the rear bag is removed. But who knows, this might be a good mower for someone older that
otherwise has a hard time mowing with a normal self propelled mower.

Neat idea. I've always just like a light weight non propelled mower with big wheels in the back, but if you need a propelled mower this looks like it could make it easier to operate.

I just replaced the belt on our RWD Toro. I learned that each of the rear wheels have a small freewheel (ratcheting hub).

Since I got a good look at the drive system (and I'm an expert?) I'm going to guess the trick with this new mower is in the handle.

Push (as usual) to go forward. Pull the plastic slider on the handle and the front wheels will engage and go backwards. Kira

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I just wish our self propelled super recycler personal pace would roll backward more readily...it's like the rear wheels don't disengage all the way even when pulling backward on the handle.

That was the only downfall of the personal pace I had. So it looks like they are addressing that issue.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I just wish our self propelled super recycler personal pace would roll backward more readily...it's like the rear wheels don't disengage all the way even when pulling backward on the handle.

That was the only downfall of the personal pace I had. So it looks like they are addressing that issue.
Supposedly this can be adjusted out. What needs adjusting is the operator. Even my 3 spd has a learning curve. It took ages for me to not to pull the mower backward in gear , not de-clutching the bail.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back