What to run this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to change the oil in my daily again.
It's a 2015 Ford Focus 1.5TDCi. Ambient temperatures bottom out about -10°c (14°F) with a maximum of around 30°c (86°F). The car does mainly fast A road (country road) and motorway driving and I do give it a hard time a few times a week. I'm currently doing 6k OCI's.

Ford specify a WSS-M2C913D oil or a 5w30 A5/B5 oil.

I have 20litres of Total Rubia TIR 8900 10w30 an ACEA E6/E7 which is a HDEO in my shed, 10 litres of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5w30 Dexos 2 and 5 litres of Mobil1 New Life/Turbo Diesel 0w40 A3/B4.

Once again I'm struggling to decide what to put in this time around.

I think they're all Group 3, possibly the Mobil1 is a PAO.

The car has an EGR & DPF but no special low saps oils required.

The Motul is an example of a Ford spec'd oil for comparison to what I have.

What would you put in with that choice?

Last edited:
Went for the Mobil1 and I can't believe the difference it's made. The engine is so much quieter and silky smooth. Although I'm fully aware that noise is no indication of protection.

The Total Quartz 9000 0w30 I was running before is not much thinner so I can only assume the car has dumped the oil full of diesel again. I guess I'll find out when I get the UOA back.

How long was your previous interval? All of these oils in your stash are great, you're set for a couple of years. What filter do you use?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
How long was your previous interval? All of these oils in your stash are great, you're set for a couple of years. What filter do you use?

See my thread about DV6/DV5 oil filters...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ter#Post4350794

All the same and made in the same factory!

My interval with the Total Quartz was 5,055miles. I may try to stick with Mobil1 New Life/Turbo Diesel on the Focus now. I'll do a few UOA and see how it holds up.

I look after enough cars to make sure my stash goes to good use. It would be nice to have a 'one for all oil' though but not sure it's possible.

I look after...

2015 Focus 1.5TDCi
2013 VW Polo 1.2
1997 LR Defender 300TDi
2012 BMW 320d
2013 Suzuki Jimny 1.3VVT
2010 Suzuki Swift 1.3VVT
2008 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2

Actually... I reckon Castrol Magnetec/EDGE 5w40 LL04 would probably work well.

Last edited:
Funny, yet top quality filters nonetheless. MANN and Mahle are (these are probably Mahle/Austria made) are of highest quality.

I had a 2008 1.6 16v DV6 (two actually) and now we have two DV-6C , 8 valvers- similar to yours DV5. Your should be 8 valve, right?

Affected engines were the 16v 110 PS version, not the new 8 valve, and not even the 90 PS version that we had.

One of old 16v made it to over 300K before selling, other had many problems. Current one are at 170k, going strong often hauling over 500 kg of cargo. Old were faster (lighter cars) and were nicer engines altogether, although I'm sure your 120 is completely different to my 90 dead horse.

Last edited:
I have no doubt the filters are good quality. Now I know they are all made in the same factory in Austria I'll just pop to motorfactors and buy the cheapest. I've actually used all the filters in the thread above, I should start stockpiling filters again. I bought 100 copper washers for the sump plug when I bought the car, my Missus thinks I'm insane!

The filter actually looked very good if I'm honest. I wouldn't have expected less for 5k miles though.

My biggest gripe with the DV5/6 is the stupidly designed sump where you can't drain the oil becuse the sump pug is higher than the bottom of the sump...

You can see how much oil is left over in this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjR7jFUOK0

As much as I like the modification, I think I'm going to get a BOLK sump without the recess and fit a drain tap instead.
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/oil-pan/bolk-bol-e061005_g592_a999BOL-E061005.html

I'm want to fit an oil temperature gauge and bypass oil filter anyway so maybe it's a good opportunity to have the new sump modified with threaded bosses to accept what I want.

The car is stuck with me for 10-15 years and soon will be EGR & DPF free and running around 170bhp and 400nm so I need to really look after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back